facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 13, 2019, 09:34 AM
Test Cricketer

Elevated expressway to be partially opened next year: Quader

Once completed , the number of trucks and long distance busses inside Dhaka streets would decrease significantly.

Old February 14, 2019, 12:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Atheist Professor/Physicist Pervez Hoodbhoy explains how Bangladesh overtook Pakistan

https://www.dawn.com/news/1462757/wh...rtook-pakistan
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old February 14, 2019, 09:09 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFair
Atheist Professor/Physicist Pervez Hoodbhoy explains how Bangladesh overtook Pakistan

Why do people feel the need to tag others as "Atheist"," Alhajz" , "moulana" etc... Specially in this day and age, when in countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh, ex-muslims are targeted by machete wielding bigots.
Old February 14, 2019, 04:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

sorry to OP for digress from economic growth discussion, but I wanted to respond to this. This is such a shame to mankind that we are becoming an intolerant, heartless bunch as human being. Brother, your point is 100% right on the money, but I must say it is not just in BD, it is even in the USA as well. People have generally become intolerant, unfriendly towards others. I am sure lot of posters in this forum live in the USA longer than me, in my 20 years in the USA, I have seen quite a change of attitude of people. People seem to be very very intolerant to opposing ideas. I am not saying all people, but there are lot. So the problem is not confined to only BD. I am not experienced enough in other countries, so I wont say about other countries or cultures, but I can tell for sure that it is in the USA as well.

Just few days ago, in our company group lunch we were chatting about it as well. All (not a huge number, but about all of about 8-10) of us came to the conclusion that it is the Social media (aka, facebooks of the Internet) to blame for this. The reasoning is that - people get a sense that they can get away (hide themselves) with anything over the Internet, so they behave rough/tough/intolerant in social media/Internet forums. They do it over and over and over. These behaviour gets ingrained into reality. When they interact with real people in streets, markets, restaurants, anywhere, that rude behavior comes out from inside without they even being realizing it. Guess, others may have already analyzed this, but I fully concur with this reasoning of our intolerant behavior.

Sorry to OP again for a digression!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
I do not know if it is money or huge difference in material wealth, people have become less friendly, more aggressive, rude and unkind over the last 30 years or so. During eighties and initial part of nineties, people will show empathy and try to help whether it causes you to let go something. They won't mind someone in distress on road, highways, neighbors, stranger in trouble if need some help it will be much easier to get.

We have geometrically large number of people now at any time outside but you cannot find that compassion anymore. In paddy field, by the river, in the river, swamp, sewer, water tank, soccer field, road, under the bridge finding a corpse has become a simple norm. Nobody is there to help a distressed or an accident victim to give a ride. The whole nation passing days with mistrust, one cannot trust his closest family, his government, his law enforcers, his friend, his boss, his subordinate, his media.

Remember that NSU student traveling in a bus from Chittagong. He got hurt while catching his bus after the jam cleared as he got down to get a breather. They threw him from a bridge alive. He died almost a day later lying their hoping someone will come to rescue him, hurt, handicap, heartbroken. Can you imagine the last minutes of his life? The Padma bridge or MegaRail had no value to him. Can you imagine the same scenes twenty years back?
Old February 14, 2019, 06:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFair

Bangladesh did overtake Pakistan in term of gdp per capita current value but not in term of gdp per capita measuring in purchasing power parity. Pakistan is still way ahead of BD (unfortunately)

BD overtook Pakistan thanks to the depreciation of Pakistan's rupies wheras BD taka's value has not changed over the last decade.

Anyway now that democracy is over I am hopeful for the future of BD's economic progress, developing countries need stability wheras democracy is versatile
Old February 15, 2019, 12:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevita
Bangladesh did overtake Pakistan in term of gdp per capita current value but not in term of gdp per capita measuring in purchasing power parity. Pakistan is still way ahead of BD (unfortunately)

BD overtook Pakistan thanks to the depreciation of Pakistan's rupies wheras BD taka's value has not changed over the last decade.

Anyway now that democracy is over I am hopeful for the future of BD's economic progress, developing countries need stability wheras democracy is versatile
Bangladesh has much higher Real GDP growth rate than Pakistan as well as ahead of Pakistan in Human Development Index (HDI).
Considering where we started in 71 and the resources and land area that Pakistan have this is a very good achievement or shows how bad Pak have been so far.

We havent been blessed with a big enough country to hold our massive population unfortunately (thanks to the British) and it is going to hurt us but we are fighting against the odds and doing alright.