facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 20, 2006, 06:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok
BDFlag Great news from Bangladesh!!!

Not only Bangladesh Cricket team is growing strong day by day its economy is growing too... read the article from newsweek...

To me its great showing by BD.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13392836/site/newsweek/

It talks about in middle of strike and bhang chur how bd economy growed 7+ and how they may take up more....
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled

Old June 20, 2006, 07:40 PM
Cricket Legend

This has always been the miraculous truth for Bangladesh. Its like Allah is protecting BD somehow .... I dont know...

Like few days back, right in the middle of the garments worker's riot (& breaking the factory & everything), a German delegate team (or some EU group dont know) visited Dhaka, and said in a press conference that BD is a great place for investment and they have only noticed positive aspects during their stay (and the workers were torching cars outside)... these are no short of miracles...

but I think the fact is for foreign investors, even after govt red tapism, mastan's chadabaji, corruption in every possible level, poor infrastructure, they bring out more profit than its possible in other countries for our 'super' cheap labors....
________
Extreme Vaporizer

Last edited by ialbd; February 19, 2011 at 11:58 PM..
Old June 20, 2006, 07:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialbd
This has always been the miraculous truth for Bangladesh. Its like Allah is protecting BD somehow .... I dont know...

Like few days back, right in the middle of the garments worker's riot (& breaking the factory & everything), a German delegate team (or some EU group dont know) visited Dhaka, and said in a press conference that BD is a great place for investment and they have only noticed positive aspects during their stay (and the workers were torching cars outside)... these are no short of miracles...

but I think the fact is for foreign investors, even after govt red tapism, mastan's chadabaji, corruption in every possible level, poor infrastructure, they bring out more profit than its possible in other countries for our 'super' cheap labors....
The foreign companies are getting a big profit not only for the cheap labour but also for our government's weak policy.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old June 20, 2006, 07:51 PM
Cricket Legend

The information provided in the NewsWeek magazine might not be 100% true! It is beacuse those info might be provided by the honourable finance minister!

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old June 20, 2006, 10:21 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default hi

I've heard a few days ago that the government of BD was spending Crores to appoint some lobbist to lobby on behalf of Bangladesh to the US and foreign world. I think this is an perfect example about how they made a start.

This is only to make our country more bright to the foreign nations which will in turn make our current government more brighter to the foreign world by which they will certainly benefit. Just to mention that i am not an anti government supporter. The real situation of our country is less than a broken skeleton. They dont know how many people of Bangladesh lives in below than the proverty limit. Their is no statistics to show the real situation of our country people except the same old definition of microcredit policy and some misleading comments from our honorable finance minister.
Old June 21, 2006, 12:09 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77

It talks about in middle of strike and bhang chur how bd economy growed 7+ and how they may take up more....
Can you imagine where we would be without the endemic political violence and the systemic corrpution? Bloody politicians...
Old June 21, 2006, 03:20 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

good to see how long we can keep up with the current trend...
but i believe once we start to hit the magical number of 10 ( % growth rate)
there will be no looking back for us..
we can develop quicker than india or china as we have a much smaller economy to manage..

well..said enough..its Bangladesh...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 21, 2006, 09:20 AM
Cricket Sage

+"Foreign investment is rising, too."

+"The attraction is an economy that has expanded by 4 percent or more yearly since 1991, cutting the national poverty rate by 15 percent in the process"

+"Bangladesh now leads South Asia in most social-welfare indicators—including female literacy and poverty reduction"

+"Its fertility rate is near replacement level."

-"Bangladeshi workers earn less than $1 a day to start, the lowest in the world, according to the International Labor Organization."

[Quotes from the article]

If the report is based on accurate statistics, then all are positive news, specially the reducing the fertility rate and stable economy growth rate since 1991.

However the last statement quoted above is kind if saddening. If the economy (especially the garments industry) is doing so well, then why the fruit of success is not trickling down to the blue-collar garment workforce, who are still the lowest paid workers (according to the article). I think as a human being in this society, we also need to address this hard issue.
Old June 21, 2006, 09:34 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I guess you guys are missing the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous
Can you imagine where we would be without the endemic political violence and the systemic corrpution? Bloody politicians...
With this much of destruction we have 7% growth. I see a direct colleration. The more destruction the higher the growth rate. We all need to go back and lend a helping hand to destruct whatever infra structure we have. That way our growth rate will grow exponentially.
I vote for no Govt. and total Chaos. That way, we will have more investment as ialbd has mentioned. May be, we can even surpass everyone in the world in growth rate, too (Just as corruption).
Old June 21, 2006, 10:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Well I am not sure who provided the info to newsweek and what is the actual stats but I know for sure that bd industry is growing and its growing fast. not only in germents industry. I have a friend who makes malamine plates (yes those plates that doens't brake etc...) he says he makes 1 million every day and by 10 am its gone. he doesn't even have a show room. People comes to his industry to buy those. He says his sales goes mostly to burma and the part of India that is not connected with the bigger part... And he is in usa to see what other possiblity he can have and checking out desgns etc (he says mixican stuff might sell better as bd people likes color)..
I feel very proud of these guys who sticked around in the country and done something with it
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old June 21, 2006, 10:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

What the hell am I doing here! Seems, all the golden deers have moved to BD. 6.7% growth in economy, huh! How much is the rate of corruption? And how much are the 'non-political' people getting benefitted? dreams, dreams......
Old June 21, 2006, 12:29 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats_eye
I guess you guys are missing the point.

With this much of destruction we have 7% growth. I see a direct colleration. The more destruction the higher the growth rate. We all need to go back and lend a helping hand to destruct whatever infra structure we have. That way our growth rate will grow exponentially.
I vote for no Govt. and total Chaos. That way, we will have more investment as ialbd has mentioned. May be, we can even surpass everyone in the world in growth rate, too (Just as corruption).
Haha touche

But then, correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation, eh? Perhaps what's causing the growth is also causing the corruption and destruction. I guess we just have too much energy, and some decide to spend it contructively, while others, destructively.
Old June 22, 2006, 08:35 PM
Cricket Legend

We are going ahead its true for sure and it is the necessity of time that we move forward which is not unexpected. But the question is in which speed we should progress? A goru gari progresses as a car goes ahead! So we need to see what we are doing for our development. We need to judge what is good and bad, then take the right decision for the country. But these decisions are coming very late, some of the decisions are wrong as well.

The question should be in which way we are going ahead or how quickly we are moving ahead.

Old June 23, 2006, 03:21 AM
Banned

I'll be waiting for the Daily Star, our bona-fide "Dush-shongbad potro" to mention this article....They give banner headline to all anti-Bangladeshi propaganda. Let's see if this gets the banner.
Old June 23, 2006, 04:11 AM
Club Cricketer

you must be happy that the jai jai din is now finally coming out everyday then, billah?
Old June 23, 2006, 05:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
I'll be waiting for the Daily Star, our bona-fide "Dush-shongbad potro" to mention this article....They give banner headline to all anti-Bangladeshi propaganda. Let's see if this gets the banner.
Billah Bhai,
for your information Daily Star and Prothom Alo would never publish those. But they would spend thousands of column space, if something anti-Bangladesh written in a paragraph of a local daily of rural village of USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous
you must be happy that the jai jai din is now finally coming out everyday then, billah.
Jai jai din may be pro BNP, to me it more catholic than pope when comes to BNP, but they publish positive news of Bangladesh and try to find out why there are negative reporting of Bangladesh.
Old June 23, 2006, 08:42 AM
Cricket Sage

My two cents about newpaper/new media biasness:

CASE-I: When a newspaper is bashed by people from one side only
That means it's doing its job partially right and by serving its core targeted readers as well as getting attension by the other groups. Jai jai Din, TheDaily Star, dailyinqilab, ect falls in this group.

CASE-II: When a newspaper is bashed by both sides
It becomes more tricky:
CASE-IIa: Either they are really doing a lousy job, or
CASE-IIb: They are doing a great job. You will find very few newspaper in this category.

CASE-III: When a newspaper is not bashed any sides
Thats a bad BAD sign for a newspaper. That means it fails to attract any one at all and nobody cares about the existence of that newspaper.

Last edited by Fazal; June 23, 2006 at 08:48 AM..
Old June 23, 2006, 09:22 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Its really astonishing!!!

Whenever any anti-Bangladesh news/article or negative article come up, we beleive in that and express our frustration.

On the other hand, whenever anywhere there is some pro-Bangladesh news/article or some positive article, we become too suspicious and negate the article.

This is same everywhere, in media, politics and now here in BC.

Bangladesh is really progressing in almost every sector. Politicians are trying to hold us back (unfortunately they are becoming more and more destructive) but the middle class is really pushing the boundary and Bangladesh is heading to the right direction.
Old June 23, 2006, 12:04 PM
Club Cricketer

Miraz, who do you see negating positive articles? People express caveats, but noone is denying what the article says, and what similar articles say. Or perhaps that's your reading.

thebest, I like investigative and true reporting when I see it. No doubt, the DS is very pessimistic in its outlook, and when its openly partisan, its obvious, but it keeps me informed much better than what other newspapers do. I was listening to the jai jai din editor, and he was full of rubbish, spinning his wheels and saying nothing. "try to find out why there are negative reporting of Bangladesh" is not why I read newspapers - I have BTV for that. incidentally, if you watch the private TV channels, you'll also see (literally...) which newspapers have it more right.
Old June 23, 2006, 03:22 PM
Club Cricketer

Since Billah vai mentioned our very own " prestigious , progressive, secular" Daily star and prothom-alo I could not resist mentioning this.

About a Month ago when Christina Rocca visited Bangladesh Daily Star reported she mentioned sanction against Bangladesh unless we do this and that. Next day MS Rocca during her press conference said she did not even utter the word "sanction" at any time. Daily star totally blacked this out.

And I hope everyone noticed their naked attempt to portray the violence , destruction of public property as labor unrest. They were even generous enough to give EU NGO's a platform to spread propaganda.
Old June 23, 2006, 08:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
I think DS and Prothom-alo are doing a good job in bangladesh. If you look at then there are very few newspapers back home are really good and reliable. I believe they try to bring the truth out. Obviously we all do make mistakes but at least they try to do something. Again, if there is anything which is negative about our country then there is no guilt of publishing those news cause this type of findings are good for us. End of the day truth is truth.

Old June 24, 2006, 08:42 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
I think DS and Prothom-alo are doing a good job in bangladesh. If you look at then there are very few newspapers back home are really good and reliable. I believe they try to bring the truth out. Obviously we all do make mistakes but at least they try to do something. Again, if there is anything which is negative about our country then there is no guilt of publishing those news cause this type of findings are good for us. End of the day truth is truth.
The problem with your last line is you believe is one version of truth. In todays world truth seems to have more than one version. DS and Prothom-alo have been doing great jobs publishing that one version. DS and prothom-alo is what is wrong with newspapers today. Why? Pro-Indian, Pro-BAL( nothing wrong with that as long as you do not pretend to be neutral).

Trying to do something is not good enough. You know why? Cause there are bunch of other newspapers who are trying to do something too. Read Newagebd , you will they are trying to do that better without any affiliation to anyone.

Before I go one more Question Mr Hasan, During this JMB fiasco how many times you have seen Daily Star and Prothom-Alo report that

1) Almost all the Explosive Gel and other ammunitions came from India. Even some ammunitions have "indian Explosive" in Jharkand planted on it. How many times have you seen them reporting on that.
2) How many times you have seen them quote arrested Indian nationals ( 3 or 4) who all said there are training camps for JMB in India which Indian government just ignores?
3) Have you seen any comment on those newspapers about BAL's comment that they are going to invite "external Forces" to root out JMB? None.

Try to read between the lines. You might be able to see more than you do now. In Bangladesh right now we have just English daily which comes anything close to being neutral. Newagebd. Rest of them are either supporting BNP or BAL. Daily Star is just a little better at doing that. They try not to be so blunt. For a person who is reading Daily star for at least 12 years , they are anything but good for our country.
Old June 24, 2006, 09:02 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

No newspaper is neutral in Bangladesh, either pro-AL or pro-BNP, either anti-Indian or pro-Indian. Both DS & Prothom Alo is published by the same company & both of them are pro-AL & pro-Indian. Both the paper has two very good editors & their reporting is good. If they do any propaganda they do it in a very articulate way. Irony is still they are the best Newspapers of Bangladesh. They are playing with our trust but the question is who's not playing with that??

At least they are better than Inquilab or Jugantor which changes color according to the business gain/motivation of their owners.

Another point, media plays with truth, lies and makes propaganda, that's everywhere not only in BD. Evereywhere truth is tampered, even in world media like BBC, CNN & we have to live with that
Old June 24, 2006, 10:39 AM
Cricket Legend

BNP Supporters : Daily Star is bad

AL Supporters: Inquilab is bad

Educated Bangladeshis who dont give 2 hoots about either BNP or AL: what is the best paper??
Old June 24, 2006, 10:46 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
BNP Supporters : Daily Star is bad

AL Supporters: Inquilab is bad

Educated Bangladeshis who dont give 2 hoots about either BNP or AL: what is the best paper??
Man, I think you are away from Bangladesh for a long time

Now Inquilab is doing real Inquilab for Awami League and is more pro-AL newspaper compared to Janakantha or Prothom Alo.

Reason : Inquilab editor Bahauddin (once Rajakar and now Muktijodhdha) is expected to get AL nomination in next general election.

AL general secretary Jalil and Razzak certified Inquilab as a very reliable and non-biased newspaper