facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 11, 2007, 04:44 PM
Street Cricketer

Default An Appeal to Non-Resident Bangladeshi

An Appeal to NRB

from Square

Old February 12, 2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

If Bangladesh can get rid off corruption and provide secure life, I am sure a lot of NRB will move to Bangladesh. Some of my friends went back home after graduation in US and now regrets ever going back, as the corruption has distroyed all their dreams and hopes.
Old February 12, 2007, 01:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Realistically speaking, not many people can go and make a difference in improving Bangladesh, and before someone starts the "drops of water make an ocean" cliche, 99% of us have our families as our first priority.

We will try returning if our families are benefited by that. However, if it harms us/our family, we would rather stay abroad than become the "drops of water" that will improve Bangladesh in 50 years.

Also ,there is a big difference in the son of a CEO/MD returning to BD and the son of a govt worker returning. In the former's case, he will have a lot of benefits/luxuries in BD that he wont get in the West. However, in the latters case , he may actually prefer sending his parents money from abroad rather than return to BD, where he wont get a good job due to not having the right connections.
Old February 12, 2007, 02:09 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

NRBs make significant contribution to Bangladesh through remittance. A lot of them can do more good for their families from abroad than being in Bangladesh. Until such day comes when Bangladesh is free from widespread crime, violence and corruption, I'm sure many NRBs will return for a life close to their families and home soil.
Old February 12, 2007, 03:35 PM
Cricket Legend

I don't think that if we wait and hope that our country will be free from the corruption, poverty then we will go there - this dream ever come true. Yes true that people are contributing staying in the foreign countries but at the same time we need to go there and try to change things.

I know this is a tough decision but if someone thinks that he should go back and fight then do it.Life is not a bed of roses.Problems are everywhere. If we wana leave the luxery and fight then we have to go to Bangladesh and live there.

We have to try to make things happen otherwise things won't happen automatically.

Remember you need to be in the battlefield to fight. You can't fight staying back like Commodos. You gotta be like Maximus.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old February 12, 2007, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
If Bangladesh can get rid off corruption and provide secure life, I am sure a lot of NRB will move to Bangladesh. Some of my friends went back home after graduation in US and now regrets ever going back, as the corruption has distroyed all their dreams and hopes.
I personally know several that are quite happy and successful after going back. They would not want to trade their level of comfort to our lives of "জুতা সেলাই থেকে চন্ডীপাঠ at all. My belief is, unless you have a very special mission, there is no reason to stay away from your homeland.
Old February 12, 2007, 09:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
If your friends are unhappy being in bangladesh then it's sad. But it's also true that it is a start for all of us. THE START OF THE PAIN AND AGAIN THE START OF THE GAIN.

For the first line of your post please read my previous post. For the second line I would say that this is a sacrifice for the country. Just imagine if everyone leaves then the whole country becomes empty. For example if all of our star cricketers leave the team then the team will become weakened. Aren't we loosing our talents? Everyone is going away and lots aren't coming back.

The situation is like this that those people who came back are suffering now but in fact they are making a base for all of us to work on. This is the foundation. We badly needed this foundation. What we needed was a start and I believe we got this start. In the coming years we need more talented and hard working people back from the foreign. And this process has started already.

In this process the first generation who are returned from foreign might suffer badly and it's very obvious. But this is bound to change in future and it is called revolution. I believe all of us have been waiting for this revolution and the good news is it has started to happen. Good luck to all of us. Future is bright!

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old February 12, 2007, 09:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Nice video!
Old February 12, 2007, 10:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
I personally know several that are quite happy and successful after going back. They would not want to trade their level of comfort to our lives of "জুতা সেলাই থেকে চন্ডীপাঠ at all. My belief is, unless you have a very special mission, there is no reason to stay away from your homeland.
Is it possible that the ones you know were from quite well to do families in BD and so automatically obtain a high level of comfort through their dad having 3 plots and 5 apartment complexes ?

Everyones situation (financial and family) is different.
Old February 12, 2007, 10:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
I don't think that if we wait and hope that our country will be free from the corruption, poverty then we will go there - this dream ever come true. Yes true that people are contributing staying in the foreign countries but at the same time we need to go there and try to change things.

I know this is a tough decision but if someone thinks that he should go back and fight then do it.Life is not a bed of roses.Problems are everywhere. If we wana leave the luxery and fight then we have to go to Bangladesh and live there.

We have to try to make things happen otherwise things won't happen automatically.

Remember you need to be in the battlefield to fight. You can't fight staying back like Commodos. You gotta be like Maximus.
For all your rhetoric, most returnees went back because of family reasons. Very few people actually return because they want to serve Bangladesh like Dr. Yunus. Of course to make it sound better, they claim to return to serve our country, but its just trying to put a positive spin on the situation (not that theres anything wrong with that).

. There are many people who returned from North America, and they did it primarily because they would get satisfactory jobs in BD or because they have aged parents etc.

Many many people have said that its our responsibility to change the situation in BD. But believe me there are very few would suffer themselves or have their families suffer for the sake of changing situation in BD. Of course not everyone suffers by returning to BD, but its just that people only return when they have something to gain in BD or when they are sure that they will not suffer financially (because they have already saved a lot in their days in the USA)
Old February 12, 2007, 11:24 PM
Cricket Legend

It takes more than emotion, you really have to have that missionery zeal, that extra pull to go back and make it happen. Take it from someone who's made the switch, lost his shirt and came back to the West.

The biggest problem is that most of us have asiimilated well into the system here (if not society) and find it difficult to adjust to the system there. Most of us came here at an early age (people who've moved to another country after 30 or so went there to stay) and never really had any experience working there. My friends who went back right after graduation and got a good jobs or joined their family's business are the ones doing OK.
Old February 13, 2007, 12:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Is it possible that the ones you know were from quite well to do families in BD and so automatically obtain a high level of comfort through their dad having 3 plots and 5 apartment complexes ?

Everyones situation (financial and family) is different.
No comments on your assumptions, but the point of my post was exactly what you said: "Everyones situation (financial and family) is different".

So, when you see some ex-patriot Bangladeshis failing after going back to Bangladesh, it may not always be Bangladesh's fault. Also, it may not be a common experience for all that are trying to settle back home. On the other hand, if a few success stories were convincing enough, I wouldn't be here, doing my own laundry or cooking....
Old February 13, 2007, 11:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
For all your rhetoric, most returnees went back because of family reasons. Very few people actually return because they want to serve Bangladesh like Dr. Yunus. Of course to make it sound better, they claim to return to serve our country, but its just trying to put a positive spin on the situation (not that theres anything wrong with that).

. There are many people who returned from North America, and they did it primarily because they would get satisfactory jobs in BD or because they have aged parents etc.

Many many people have said that its our responsibility to change the situation in BD. But believe me there are very few would suffer themselves or have their families suffer for the sake of changing situation in BD. Of course not everyone suffers by returning to BD, but its just that people only return when they have something to gain in BD or when they are sure that they will not suffer financially (because they have already saved a lot in their days in the USA)
True that most people are going back for family reasons. But think about this- if everyone goes back only intending to serve the country then the whole country will be filled with thousands of Dr yunus! But surely not everyone goes back with doing something specific.

In fact we are talking about the people who go back and contribute something very little. Still it's a contribution.

A nation becomes developed when it's every citizen becomes concious and educated. Imagine a Bangladesh where the litteracy is high and poverty is minimal! Won't be it amazing?

If we can fill our counrty with good hard working and talented people and if we can employ them then why we can't shine? Just for example in a small town if we have 100 average good people but most of them do not obey any rule i.e. traffic rule on the other hand if we have 50 very good people those obey the rules then which one is better?? The one having 50 people is much better isn't it? If our country gets more good and concious people then surely we can influnce others.

Everyone can make small contributions. Not necessarily everyone has to have big companies or offices but as a citizen we can do lot of things. We can influence people to do right things.

Old February 14, 2007, 11:10 AM
First Class Cricketer

There is nothing wrong with going back for family reasons or to serve your family. Your family is part of the bigger family that is Bangladesh. Otherwise, what is the country? Is it just a piece of land? The country is all of it, the land, the people, and everything. So if you improve your family's condition, if you teach good manners and ideology to your children, you're helping the country. If you're taking care of your parents, you're setting an example for others. It's not that everyone has to be a Dr. Yunus and set up a grameen bank. Every bit of what you do part of building the country.

But it is difficult. No doubt about that....But thinks about it this way: The Muktijuddoh was difficult. But our parents did it anyway, for a better future for us, the next generation. Risking sounding philosophical, a life become more meaningful if you live for the future generations.
Old February 14, 2007, 11:42 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
If your friends are unhappy being in bangladesh then it's sad. But it's also true that it is a start for all of us. THE START OF THE PAIN AND AGAIN THE START OF THE GAIN.

For the first line of your post please read my previous post. For the second line I would say that this is a sacrifice for the country. Just imagine if everyone leaves then the whole country becomes empty. For example if all of our star cricketers leave the team then the team will become weakened. Aren't we loosing our talents? Everyone is going away and lots aren't coming back.

The situation is like this that those people who came back are suffering now but in fact they are making a base for all of us to work on. This is the foundation. We badly needed this foundation. What we needed was a start and I believe we got this start. In the coming years we need more talented and hard working people back from the foreign. And this process has started already.

In this process the first generation who are returned from foreign might suffer badly and it's very obvious. But this is bound to change in future and it is called revolution. I believe all of us have been waiting for this revolution and the good news is it has started to happen. Good luck to all of us. Future is bright!

I didn’t post the commercial to share a well-made product. I liked the way they urged to go back to back home. I was planning to write something but after reading all logical explanation of SMHasan, I should say that I unequivocally do agree with most his points. If I write something that would be nothing but paraphrasing what he already stated.

Mahmood Bhai thanks!!
Old February 14, 2007, 12:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah

Billah;

Very valid point. I am here to tame the wild west

Z.
Old February 14, 2007, 05:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I can't ask my NRB brothers to go back to Bangladesh now. 3/4 years from now I will revisit this thread inshallah.
Old February 14, 2007, 10:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I can't ask my NRB brothers to go back to Bangladesh now. 3/4 years from now I will revisit this thread inshallah.
Would you kindly explain?

Old February 17, 2007, 02:23 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
Take it from someone who's made the switch, lost his shirt and came back to the West.
Atleast you didn't lost your pant also... on second thought did you?
Old February 17, 2007, 02:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Atleast you didn't lost your pant also... on second thought did you?

Are you trying to be funny? I couldn't tell.

Or are you actually not familier with the expression.
Old February 17, 2007, 03:09 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Are you trying to be funny? I couldn't tell.

Or are you actually not familier with the expression.

Quote:
I take the fifth.
So do I.
Old February 17, 2007, 10:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
So do I.
Well put, I must say.
Old February 20, 2007, 12:37 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

" O amar desher mati tomar pore tekai matha"
Nice and emotional video Serenity. Thanks.
Old February 22, 2007, 01:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Very touching 'ahoban' for those who stays abroad, far from their families and love one. I tried to search Anjan Dutta's song 'Kanchanjhanga' that says clearly why one leave his/her motherland. Ektu valo korey bachbo boley aar ektu shukher e ashay..............

In my mind, it's all about security. Most of the people want security in their life which is not enough in BD. If we can make Bangladesh safe and secured for our next generation, I am sure, many of us will come home and make the most of their short life span.
Old February 22, 2007, 10:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2005
In my mind, it's all about security. Most of the people want security in their life which is not enough in BD. If we can make Bangladesh safe and secured for our next generation, I am sure, many of us will come home and make the most of their short life span.
But at least one generation has to suffer and sacrifice few things to make the country safe and developed.If we think one day our country will be developed and we will go back -then probably it won't happen. One generation must sacrifice to build up the country.

I think it is our time to do that. Time has come my friend!