facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 20, 2017, 08:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful
Default ***Places you have visited***

How many cities/towns/countries have you visited?

Let's start with Bangladesh.
Have you visited all the regional districts in Bangladesh?
If not, which places have you been to?

I'm not a keen traveller - would love to hear from those who have travelled.

Old July 20, 2017, 08:56 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

This year I have been to San Fran, San Jose and Santa Barbara. San Francisco is now my most favorite city. The city is extremely beautiful surrounded by pacific ocean and seems to be built on/around a hilly area. The streets are steep like crazy and involves quite an exercise to walk around, especially Lombard street. The weather is quite unpredictable too. I found myself taking my jacket off and shivering in cold within the same morning. San Fran has many great places to visit. It was awesome to finally see the bridge, that gets destroyed in every other hollywood movie, in person. Besides Golden Gate, I also had a chance to visit Alcatraz and do the award winning audio tour of the place. The food in the city was incredible too. Dined at some really nice Italian and Peruvian restaurants. After having mexican there, i can say that south east asian mexican places are all crap compared to US. The city is also very clean, organized and full of very friendly people. Easy to get around too with Uber. Highly recommended!
Old July 20, 2017, 10:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

I'm not much of a traveler. But have visited numerous spots in NY.
Old July 20, 2017, 12:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

I will list only places in Bangladesh that I visited in this thread.
Good thread BTW, Sporting bhaiyo!

In Bangladesh I have so far visited:

Comilla
Moynamoti
Brahmanbaria
Akhaura
Kharampur
Durgapur
Sultanpur
Bashudev
Kodda
Shorail
Ranikhar
Ghatiara
Kulla Pathar

Dhaka
Old Dhaka
Kosaituli
Lalbagh
Narayanganj
Joydevpur
Ghorashaal

Noakhali
Feni
Lemua

Chittagong
Cox's Bazaar
Mais Bhandar Sahrif

Sylhet
Moulavi Bazaar
Tamabill
Jaaflong
Chhatok

Mymensingh
Bhairabh

***I have swum in the Mymensigh part of the Brahmaputra and the Old Brahmaputra river...I even guzzled/swallowed Brahmaputra's water.
In Brahmanbaria and Sylhet, I have swam in the Titash. (swallowed Titash water). Titash is my mother river!
In Ghorashaal, I have swum in the Shitalakkha river.
I don't think I will or wish to ever step into the black alkatra water of the mother Buriganga river (in and around Dhaka/old Dhaka)...unless the Lord has plans for me and makes me do it.

I hope to, have wishes to swim the Yamuna(Jamuna) ...I highly doubt that at this age I have any courage or strong muscle left in my body to swim in the Meghna and Padma (the Ganga - Ganjees on the BD side). Again unless the Lord has plans for me and He wishes me to do that. But I believe once I get into the Meghna or Padma, very little chance of me ever getting back into bank (nodir paar)...I fear I will be sucked straight into the Mohona (wild estuary of the mother Bay of Bengal)!

In Bangladesh I wish/hope to visit before the Lord takes me back to Him (on the other side):

Rajshahi
Mahasthangarh
Paharpur

Bogra
Jessore
Natore

Khulna
Bagherhaat
Sundarbaan
Hazrat Khan Jahan Ali (Ra) Mazar

Teknaaf
Bandarbaan
Shandeep Island
St. Martins Islands

Sonargaon

Dinajpur (historic sites)
Old July 20, 2017, 01:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
I'm not much of a traveler. But have visited numerous spots in NY.
Have you visited Richmond hill ? Can you write a post about it as a person who visited Richmond hill.
Old July 20, 2017, 04:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Have you visited Richmond hill ? Can you write a post about it as a person who visited Richmond hill.
Yes I have visited Richmond Hill, but my time there has been short

I have no family there. The last time I was there was roughly two years ago. And at that time, I noticed how diversed it was: people of many nationalities.

I have no plan visiting in the near future. Everyone I know lives where I am.
Old July 22, 2017, 05:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Never been to USA. My cousin lives there in NYC.

Maybe in the future IA will visit.

Has anyone been to any historical places?
Old July 22, 2017, 06:14 AM
Cricket Savant

^^ Donald Trump might invite you to the White House, since you have opened a thread on BC dedicated to him.
Old July 22, 2017, 06:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
^^ Donald Trump might invite you to the White House, since you have opened a thread on BC dedicated to him.
yeah right.

Could be serious if he finds out... might be on his ban list
Old July 22, 2017, 09:29 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
Has anyone been to any historical places?
I have been to Pompeii
Old July 22, 2017, 09:34 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I have been to Pompeii
Wow, that's great.

How did you feel knowing the history of that place?

Was it surreal?
Old July 22, 2017, 09:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I have been to Pompeii
Just googled about it, damn.. must have felt really different.

I assume historical places gives you a different feel or vibe.
Old July 22, 2017, 04:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom

***I have swum in the Mymensigh part of the Brahmaputra and the Old Brahmaputra river...I even guzzled/swallowed Brahmaputra's water.
In Brahmanbaria and Sylhet, I have swam in the Titash. (swallowed Titash water). Titash is my mother river!

I hope to, have wishes to swim the Yamuna(Jamuna) ...I highly doubt that at this age I have any courage or strong muscle left in my body to swim in the Meghna and Padma (the Ganga - Ganjees on the BD side).
Isn't Jamuna and Brahmaputra the same river? What the Indians call Brahmaputra is the Jamuna in BD. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
I highly doubt that at this age I have any courage or strong muscle left in my body to swim in the Meghna and Padma (the Ganga - Ganjees on the BD side).
You can do it, age is nothing but a number bro. BTW fun fact, the first Asian to cross the English Channel was a Bangladeshi, Brojen Das. He was in his late 30s when he swam it for the 6th time. It's in our blood. I think our country could easily win olympic gold in swimming, if it was properly funded.
Old July 22, 2017, 04:31 PM
Cricket Legend

In BD, I've only been to Chittagong, Dhaka, and Comilla. Where would you all suggest I go for something that's different and unique from these three? I know about Sylhet and it's already on my list of places to visit. But where else?
Old July 22, 2017, 04:47 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
Isn't Jamuna and Brahmaputra the same river? What the Indians call Brahmaputra is the Jamuna in BD. Correct me if I'm wrong.
They are different. Jamuna is more north and Brahmaputra is towards the northeast (mymensigh area). I have seen Brahmaputra many times while going to my dadabari. Saw Jamuna twice while going into north bengal like Pabna.
Old July 22, 2017, 10:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
You can do it, age is nothing but a number bro. BTW fun fact, the first Asian to cross the English Channel was a Bangladeshi, Brojen Das. He was in his late 30s when he swam it for the 6th time. It's in our blood. I think our country could easily win olympic gold in swimming, if it was properly funded.
Thank you brother. Hopefully I will, with your moral support and the Lord's blessing.
The late Brojen Das was my mama (uncle). He passed away (may his brave/adventurous soul rest in most sublime peace) years ago, and I was lucky to be at his Sraddho - I was visiting my parents then. I have very fond memories of my dear mama, I used to go visit him in Old Dhaka, and he used to buy me 7-up, chicken cutlet and samosas from the local canteen.

Quote:
In BD, I've only been to Chittagong, Dhaka, and Comilla. Where would you all suggest I go for something that's different and unique from these three? I know about Sylhet and it's already on my list of places to visit. But where else?
Rajshahi, Khulna, Dinajpur and Jessore. Many parts of Rajshahi has red spoil. MahasthanGarh and Paharpur ancient Buddhist archeological sites are in Rajshahi.
Southern Khulna and Bagherhaat have very unique botany/plant lives. BagherHaat has the great historic Shat (60) Gomuj Masjid.
Dinajpur has tremendous amount/collection of Rajbaris and Zamindar baris (historical sites) to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
They are different. Jamuna is more north and Brahmaputra is towards the northeast (mymensigh area). I have seen Brahmaputra many times while going to my dadabari. Saw Jamuna twice while going into north Bengal like Pabna.
Yes, Mufstafa. There is also a branch of Brahmaputra which is actually called the 'old' Brahmaputra (now most of the year - partially dry, except for Barsha (monsoon) season) Brahmaputra. It has a lot of 'Chor' (silt build-up), and people grow rice and other things on those chors (shallow water silt islands).
I woul at least like to see the ArialKhaa, MataMohuri and Tista before I die. I have seen the Dholesshari river, but never got in it.
Old July 22, 2017, 11:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Thank you brother. Hopefully I will, with your moral support and the Lord's blessing.
The late Brojen Das was my mama (uncle). He passed away (may his brave/adventurous soul rest in most sublime peace) years ago, and I was lucky to be at his Sraddho - I was visiting my parents then. I have very fond memories of my dear mama, I used to go visit him in Old Dhaka, and he used to buy me 7-up, chicken cutlet and samosas from the local canteen.
Are you kidding me??? That's amazing. Swimming really is in your blood. You should be very proud of your uncle. In fact, we all should be. Certainly country's one of the most accomplished.
Old July 22, 2017, 11:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Rajshahi, Khulna, Dinajpur and Jessore. Many parts of Rajshahi has red spoil. MahasthanGarh and Paharpur ancient Buddhist archeological sites are in Rajshahi.
Bangladesh actually has some of the oldest Buddhist archeological sites in the world. If the tourism board had any sense, it would advertise this to the people of neighboring Buddhist countries like Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Thailand, Bhutan. Not to mention the golden temple in Bandarban.

I read somewhere that BD is the least visited country in the world in terms of tourism. Which is really disheartening, when we have the largest mangrove forest, largest unbroken beach, UNESCO sites.
Old July 29, 2017, 03:13 PM
Cricket Sage

My wife's best friend quit her job and started traveling the world. I always wanted to travel but I never realized how amazing it would be until I started following her jorney through instagram. She is currently in Kenya. I was in complete awe, when I this one picture of milky way she captured while climbing the machu pichu. It is amazing.

As for me, I have been to England few times. Last summer I got a chance to visit Venice, that was incredible. Not having to deal with cars and roads for few days was the best part. I wondered in to Bangladeshi pizza place, and my bangali bhai made me the best pizza I ever had in my life. I was surprised to see such a large population of Bangali immigrants in Venice.
Old July 29, 2017, 03:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Anyone been to any ancient places?

Egypt?
Old July 29, 2017, 03:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
My wife's best friend quit her job and started traveling the world. I always wanted to travel but I never realized how amazing it would be until I started following her jorney through instagram.
You gotta travel before you get married ... there is no better way to travel than by yourself ....

Did she win the lottery ?
Old July 29, 2017, 05:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
Anyone been to any ancient places?

Egypt?
I've been past an ancient slum place/area on my return flight to UK, once.. I'll let you guess/discover where that is. It's within...

Edit: corrected! Been past, not Been 'to' past.

Last edited by Mas_UK25; July 29, 2017 at 05:54 PM..
Old July 29, 2017, 05:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas_UK25
I've been to past an ancient slum place/area on my return flight to UK, once.. I'll let you guess/discover where that is. It's within...
Really bad with geography.

If within/around U.K. I am guessing Scotland?

Otherwise Jordan/Syria/Palestine?

Once again, geography is not my subject
Old July 29, 2017, 08:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
You gotta travel before you get married ... there is no better way to travel than by yourself ....

Did she win the lottery ?
No, worked hard for a long time to save up, lived at home, spent as little as possible. There is a website that links you up with people from other countries who are looking to hire people in exchange for food and living accomodation. She used that website to find places to stay.
Old July 29, 2017, 09:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

War-zone travelling is the latest fad, pumped up teens go to warzones such as Syria,Iraq,North Korea and Gaza to get their kicks of adrenaline.