facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 10, 2014, 04:47 AM
Administrator

Default Bangladesh A Team Tour of West Indies 2014

DHAKA, Saturday, 10 May 2014

Media Release
Bangladesh A Team Tour of West Indies (Squad & Itinerary)

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) announces the Bangladesh A Team for the Tour of West Indies:

Nasir Hossain (Captain), Naeem Islam (Vice Captain), Imrul Kayes, Shamsur Rahman, Muminul Hoque, Marshall Ayub, Abdul Majid, Mustafizur Rahman, Nurul Hasan, Shohag Gazi, Muktar Ali, Mohammad Elias, Robiul Islam, Shubhashis Roy, Taijul Islam.

ITINEARY

DATE
PROGRAMME
VENUE
22 May
Bangladesh A arrive in Barbados
26-29 May
(1st 4-day match) Bangladesh A v High Performance Centre
Winward Cricket Club, Barbados
02-05 June
(2nd 4-day match) Bangladesh A v High Performance Centre
Kensington Oval, Barbados
08 June
(1st one-day match) Bangladesh A v High Performance Centre
09 June
Reserve Day
10 June
(2nd one-day match) Bangladesh A v High Performance Centre
Winward Cricket Club, Barbados
11 June
Reserve Day
12 June
(3rd one-day match) Bangladesh A v High Performance Centre
Carlton Cricket Ground, Barbados
13 June
Reserve Day
14 June
(1st Twenty20) Bangladesh A v High Performance Centre
15 June
(2nd Twenty20) Bangladesh A v High Performance Centre
3Ws Oval, Barbados
16 June
Bangladesh A depart

Old May 10, 2014, 04:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

they should have selected asif ahmed and also shuvagata. half of them are consistent national teamers.
Old May 10, 2014, 05:09 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

same squad for all formats?
Old May 10, 2014, 05:23 AM
Cricket Legend

who is Mustafizur Rahman? In basis what, he has been selected? any idea..
Old May 10, 2014, 05:26 AM
Cricket Legend

why no Farhad Reza? he should be in..
Old May 10, 2014, 05:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Notables missing:

Shuvagata, Ratul

Arafat, Noor

Taskin, Abu jayed
Old May 10, 2014, 05:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Pretty much the national team minus shakib and mushy..Al amin would have been better choice than robiul..Arafat instead of sunny..
Old May 10, 2014, 05:41 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_TigerZ
Notables missing:

Shuvagata, Ratul

Arafat, Noor

Taskin, Abu jayed
all these would have been good inclusions.
Old May 10, 2014, 05:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

I've never heard of Abdul Majid before but he has a pretty good average and has been doing well recently. Same goes with Mustafizur Rahman. He has played only 1 FC match but he's only 18 and has been playing for the U19s so I guess he's been picked on potential. I don't understand why Mominul is there. He has nothing more to prove. He's a dead cert for both Tests and ODIs. I would've picked Asif Ahmed and Shuvagoto Hom instead. Also Taskin should have been picked for the one-day leg of the tour provided he's fit. Will be interesting to see who does better - Taijul or Gazi.
Old May 10, 2014, 07:12 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Anamul should have been there instead of Mominul for 4 days.

Robiul is there to improve his fitness i guess.

Tasking and Noor should have been there too.

Good to see selectors finally came out of Mithun Ali and Reza and picked Nurul and Muktar.

What is Roy doing there? Where is Al Amin?
Old May 10, 2014, 07:15 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Mustafizur Rahman playing in the BCL final. LM, a Rassel type swing bowler
Old May 10, 2014, 12:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

First to start off, this is just the squad for the 4 dayers. Overall it's a good squad IMO. I'll admit at first I was confused and I understand that people are a little confused about the selections of the likes of Nasir, Mominul, Gazi, Imrul, Shamsur and Robiul but we have to also understand, even though these players are national teamers, they are still very young Test level players. Only Shakib, Tamim and Mushy are our experienced Test players. On top of that we barely tour outside of BD. So it's important, even our young national teamers continue to gain experience against international quality players. The only disappointments I feel is the snubbings of Anamul and Al-Amin. They should've been there ahead of Majid and Rahman. Full credit to Majid for a very good season but he's still nowhere near the player Anamul is in terms of experience and stats. Anamul could've really used this experience. Likewise for Al-Amin whose still a very new player. Asif could've been taken ahead of Marshall but the selectors probably don't want to rule out Marshall yet especially since he's already played Tests. That being said, the pressure is on Marshall and I feel he's playing for his career here for the national team if he can't perform on this tour.

Most likely the XI will be

1. Shamsur
2. Imrul
3. Marshall
4. Mominul
5. Naeem
6. Nasir
7. Nurul
8. Mukhtar/Subashis
9. Gazi
10. Robiul
11. Taijul

Best of luck to them in what should be a very challenging tour
Old May 10, 2014, 03:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim
Anamul should have been there instead of Mominul for 4 days.

Robiul is there to improve his fitness i guess.

Tasking and Noor should have been there too.

Good to see selectors finally came out of Mithun Ali and Reza and picked Nurul and Muktar.

What is Roy doing there? Where is Al Amin?
I agree Noor should've been there instead of Elias.

Roy's been the highest wicket taker out of the pacers this year in FC's
Old May 10, 2014, 06:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
First to start off, this is just the squad for the 4 dayers. Overall it's a good squad IMO. I'll admit at first I was confused and I understand that people are a little confused about the selections of the likes of Nasir, Mominul, Gazi, Imrul, Shamsur and Robiul but we have to also understand, even though these players are national teamers, they are still very young Test level players. Only Shakib, Tamim and Mushy are our experienced Test players. On top of that we barely tour outside of BD. So it's important, even our young national teamers continue to gain experience against international quality players. The only disappointments I feel is the snubbings of Anamul and Al-Amin. They should've been there ahead of Majid and Rahman. Full credit to Majid for a very good season but he's still nowhere near the player Anamul is in terms of experience and stats. Anamul could've really used this experience. Likewise for Al-Amin whose still a very new player. Asif could've been taken ahead of Marshall but the selectors probably don't want to rule out Marshall yet especially since he's already played Tests. That being said, the pressure is on Marshall and I feel he's playing for his career here for the national team if he can't perform on this tour.

Most likely the XI will be

1. Shamsur
2. Imrul
3. Marshall
4. Mominul
5. Naeem
6. Nasir
7. Nurul
8. Mukhtar/Subashis
9. Gazi
10. Robiul
11. Taijul

Best of luck to them in what should be a very challenging tour
if it's for the 4-dayers then anamul, asif and shuvagata should have surely been selected, anamul is averaging 39 with already 8 tons from 36 matches, asif is averaging 40.65 with 7 tons from 31 matches and shuvagata is averaging 41 with 5 tons from 32 matches. shuvagata has less tons in 1 more match than asif but he's played 7 less innings so that accounts for that, anamul has played 68 innings, asif 58 innings and shuvagata 51 innings. in terms of 50+ scores anamul has 20, shuvagata 15 and asif 14.

as good as abdul majid has been so far i don't see why he was picked ahead of anamul or asif. one issue if they've selected 2 openers (shamsur and imrul) who are currently the test openers and if not then one of them is the back up and this means there is no room for up and coming top order batsmen like anamul and asif which means we are pushing the development of these players back.

the selectors should be thinking about this before a player is in the national team, that's why they need to identify these talents and organise academy and A team tours so they get that experience then instead of taking up space during their national team years.

hasn't mominul been to WI already anyway? thought that was where he got his big 150 before he was even considered for the national team.
Old May 10, 2014, 06:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
if it's for the 4-dayers then anamul, asif and shuvagata should have surely been selected, anamul is averaging 39 with already 8 tons from 36 matches, asif is averaging 40.65 with 7 tons from 31 matches and shuvagata is averaging 41 with 5 tons from 32 matches. shuvagata has less tons in 1 more match than asif but he's played 7 less innings so that accounts for that, anamul has played 68 innings, asif 58 innings and shuvagata 51 innings. in terms of 50+ scores anamul has 20, shuvagata 15 and asif 14.

as good as abdul majid has been so far i don't see why he was picked ahead of anamul or asif. one issue if they've selected 2 openers (shamsur and imrul) who are currently the test openers and if not then one of them is the back up and this means there is no room for up and coming top order batsmen like anamul and asif which means we are pushing the development of these players back.

the selectors should be thinking about this before a player is in the national team, that's why they need to identify these talents and organise academy and A team tours so they get that experience then instead of taking up space during their national team years.

hasn't mominul been to WI already anyway? thought that was where he got his big 150 before he was even considered for the national team.
Again I agree with the fact that Anamul should've made it ahead of Majid. Because Anamul is an opener and a one drop whereas Majid is more of an opener.

Regarding Asif, well let's break it down a bit. Asif's main competition was Marshall since both bat at 3. Both have solid stats to back them up. I think what put Marshall ahead of Asif was the fact that he's already a member of the Test team and the fact is even though Marshall hasn't been great, he's still shown that he can play at this level and it's hard to really give up faith in him after just 3 Test matches.

Regarding Shuvagata, it was going to be very hard for him to make it over the likes of Nasir, Naeem, Mominul and Nurul. Yes he's got impressive stats to back him up but so do the others and everyone I mentioned here has international experience except Nurul but he's the only WK taken here.

Mominul did tour WI before but that was 2011 which is a while back. It can't hurt a player in going back.

That said, I agree that there should be more Academy tours. Guys like Rahman and Majid would do well to play in the Academy team rather than sit on the bench of the A team
Old May 10, 2014, 07:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Again I agree with the fact that Anamul should've made it ahead of Majid. Because Anamul is an opener and a one drop whereas Majid is more of an opener.

Regarding Asif, well let's break it down a bit. Asif's main competition was Marshall since both bat at 3. Both have solid stats to back them up. I think what put Marshall ahead of Asif was the fact that he's already a member of the Test team and the fact is even though Marshall hasn't been great, he's still shown that he can play at this level and it's hard to really give up faith in him after just 3 Test matches.

Regarding Shuvagata, it was going to be very hard for him to make it over the likes of Nasir, Naeem, Mominul and Nurul. Yes he's got impressive stats to back him up but so do the others and everyone I mentioned here has international experience except Nurul but he's the only WK taken here.

Mominul did tour WI before but that was 2011 which is a while back. It can't hurt a player in going back.

That said, I agree that there should be more Academy tours. Guys like Rahman and Majid would do well to play in the Academy team rather than sit on the bench of the A team
of course there are reasons why all could have been selected but this A team is to national team heavy and it's because the selectors don't look ahead when they do these selections, if they did we wouldn't need half the A team to be national team players.
Old May 10, 2014, 08:26 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Mustafizur, a left-arm fast bowler, came to Dhaka from his hometown Satkhira two years ago to trial at a fast-bowling camp at the Shere Bangla National Stadium. There, he caught the eye of the coaches and was regularly selected for the Under-19 squads, eventually playing in the World Cup this year where he took nine wickets at 18.44. He is currently playing only his second first-class game, the Bangladesh Cricket League final, having made his debut for Khulna Division last month.

"He is the best Under-19 bowler in the country," Faruque told EPSNcricinfo. "It is not necessary that he will play matches but he is a prospect, and offers us the left-arm seam variety. This is the 15-man squad for the four-day matches, so there will be a few changes for the one-dayers and T20s."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...ry/743431.html

Didn't know we had a fast bowling camp. Who was the coach? anyone remember?
Old May 10, 2014, 08:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Some of you guys forgetting that we have a national team tour to WI in August. That's why some of the national regulars are in the squad.

Mominul is out of form and this is where you get your form back. So it makes a lot of sense for his selection.

West Indies squad:

Sunil Ambris, Ronsford Beaton, Devendra Bishoo, Jermaine Blackwood, Carlos Brathwaite, Kraigg Brathwaite, Jonathan Carter, Sheldon Cottrell, Miguel Cummins, Assad Fudadin, Leon Johnson, Ashley Nurse, Chadwick Walton
Old May 10, 2014, 08:33 PM
Cricket Sage

The team will be coached by Corey Richards, who resigned just four days ago. Since he will be serving a two-month notice period with the BCB, it was decided that he would be in charge for the West Indies tour.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Some of you guys forgetting that we have a national team tour to WI in August. That's why some of the national regulars are in the squad.

Mominul is out of form and this is where you get your form back. So it makes a lot of sense for his selection.

West Indies squad:

Sunil Ambris, Ronsford Beaton, Devendra Bishoo, Jermaine Blackwood, Carlos Brathwaite, Kraigg Brathwaite, Jonathan Carter, Sheldon Cottrell, Miguel Cummins, Assad Fudadin, Leon Johnson, Ashley Nurse, Chadwick Walton
i didn't forget, A team cricket is for prospects and development not a place to get back form for national team players. if he's there for form then it's the wrong selection imo, if he's there to get experience in WI conditions it's slightly more understandable but doesn't change the fact that if selectors looked forward with their prospects that they'd already have been given the experience they needed in the different conditions.

how often do you see national team players in say for example the aus A team? even if they don't have the experience it doesn't happen very often.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Anamul, Asif and Shuvagata should a have been there..

As for the bowlers Al amin and Noor should be theere
Old May 11, 2014, 09:03 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
The team will be coached by Corey Richards, who resigned just four days ago. Since he will be serving a two-month notice period with the BCB, it was decided that he would be in charge for the West Indies tour.
Well paid holiday to Caribbean.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
i didn't forget, A team cricket is for prospects and development not a place to get back form for national team players. if he's there for form then it's the wrong selection imo, if he's there to get experience in WI conditions it's slightly more understandable but doesn't change the fact that if selectors looked forward with their prospects that they'd already have been given the experience they needed in the different conditions.

how often do you see national team players in say for example the aus A team? even if they don't have the experience it doesn't happen very often.
Gowza bro it's hard to compare BD with Australia. Australia plays the most along with India and England. Heck they play almost as much as BD does in 1 series when they play the Ashes. They also have established regulars on the team and they constantly play. Therefore, they wouldn't need to throw their national teamers in to the A team for experience. Even then actually I see them sometimes playing their regulars. When Warner was struggling, they sent him down to the A team. Recently I saw the likes of marsh, Finch, Hughes and Maxwell in the A team. They sent Siddle and Hilfy to Zimbabwe.

Even when we sent our strong A teams, we struggled against even other domestic sides like India and England. We have to face it, we aren't an established side like the other Test sides so it's really hard to compare.
Old May 11, 2014, 03:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Muktar in FC team does not make much sense. Robiul is the only tried and tested longer format pacer in the team.

Sajedul or Abu Jayed should have been included (given Taskin still not fit enough for four day matches).
Old May 11, 2014, 05:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Gowza bro it's hard to compare BD with Australia. Australia plays the most along with India and England. Heck they play almost as much as BD does in 1 series when they play the Ashes. They also have established regulars on the team and they constantly play. Therefore, they wouldn't need to throw their national teamers in to the A team for experience. Even then actually I see them sometimes playing their regulars. When Warner was struggling, they sent him down to the A team. Recently I saw the likes of marsh, Finch, Hughes and Maxwell in the A team. They sent Siddle and Hilfy to Zimbabwe.

Even when we sent our strong A teams, we struggled against even other domestic sides like India and England. We have to face it, we aren't an established side like the other Test sides so it's really hard to compare.
warner was sent as punishment. marsh, finch, hughes and maxwell are only regulars in certain formats if at all and even then the now regulars are only recently regularly. it's not just australia, aside from maybe india not many teams put a bunch of regulars in the A team, BD do it consistently.