facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 16, 2012, 11:00 PM
Cricket Legend

With every edition of BPL we will keep seeing improvements. I was amazed at the way our guys were batting-so cool, so calm, so collected. Never budging under pressure. What a transformation. Now Law will say its all thanks to his effort. But i strongly believe we have benefited from "Our guys rubbing shoulders with legends" theory. Its as if they have finally learned how the game is to be played.

The best thing BCB can now do is organize BPL 2 in an even better way. Longer training camps, home and away matches, better international players, more emphasis on local talent, running the event at a time there are no other important series so that all eyes will be on BPL. They can also take a cue from BPL and make domestic cricket more interesting. If there is television coverage, 1-2 good foreign players per division, heavy interest from media and public our domestic cricket will improve a lot. Thats what we need for our cricket to grow.

Old March 16, 2012, 11:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Ian, did you see any massive changes in Bangladesh bowling/batting? How do you see the win against India?
Old March 17, 2012, 03:27 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
Ian, did you see any massive changes in Bangladesh bowling/batting? How do you see the win against India?
I said and have always said, that motivation and mindset are the key issues for the boys winning more matches. Since this thread is about the BPL, what we saw was players being motivated to do well and understanding how to play in the BPL. This is undoubtedly a positive experience.

Before you can win, you have to believe you can win, so it's only when you have experienced the winning situation that you can learn it.

Everyone knows the skill levels in the players are there. The A teams and Under 19s hold their own easily against other nations. It is how you use and execute your skill that's important. The team did that.

I will be honest - if Bangladesh played to full potential then they would be mid-ranked in ODIs in time. That's how important what they might be learning, is.

Like other people interested in BD cricket, I have been frustrated how long it is taking to get up to potential. This win against India is a thrill and grabs the headlines. However, a single win needs to be put into context. So with Sri Lanka having a relatively weak squad with some injuries and fatigue, I would hope that BD could win that comfortably. This would start to show progress by the players.

The answer has always been in the heads of the players. The question is can they work it out and continue it? I think they can

Last edited by Ian Pont; March 17, 2012 at 04:35 AM..
Old March 17, 2012, 03:50 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Agreed everything with Ian except SL is relatively weak side. They almost won the previous series. They have more match winners than us. Granted Murali is not there but Dilshan, Jayawardene, or Sangga alone can win matches by themselves. And there is Malinga. For some reason he is almost unplayable for our top order. At least that was the case previously. They are more confident than us for sure. The only advantage we have is our crowd. They have the umpiring advantage though.

Hopefully SL stumbles and we get a victory or Shakib takes over.
Old March 17, 2012, 04:03 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

^^^

I dont think malinga is unplayable. Tamim and co. didnt do too bad the last few times they played against the mal.

Anyways, I think a bit more matches in BPL and more youngsters coming under the BPL radar will help. If only 1 more team where to be added, there would be more BD players in action and also more matches per each team(2 more though but 2 matches is enuff)
Old March 17, 2012, 04:32 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Agreed everything with Ian except SL is relatively weak side. They almost won the previous series. They have more match winners than us. Granted Murali is not there but Dilshan, Jayawardene, or Sangga alone can win matches by themselves. And there is Malinga. For some reason he is almost unplayable for our top order. At least that was the case previously. They are more confident than us for sure. The only advantage we have is our crowd. They have the umpiring advantage though.

Hopefully SL stumbles and we get a victory or Shakib takes over.
The SL squad is somewhat depleted and very tired. This is what I meant by relatively weak squad.

Sri Lanka skipper Mahela Jayawardene appeared a touch resigned when he broke the news that all-rounder Angelo Mathews won't recover from injury and was flying home on Wednesday evening. Medium-pacer Shaminda Eranga will replace him but he is unlikely to join the squad before they play a do-or-die match against Pakistan on Thursday.

But with the fatigue and resultant injures, Sri Lanka go into the match as underdogs. They have played five matches in 10 days in the CB Series, including the travel from Hobart to Melbourne and then to Adelaide, and will be playing their second match in three days here.

Too weary

Except for Suranga Lakmal, Sachithra Senanayake and Seekkuge Prasanna, who were picked for the Asia Cup, others have directly travelled here from Australia. They were so tired that Jayawardene admitted that most players were happy to stay at the hotel when a political rally deprived them of their only training session here before the match against India on Tuesday.

"I'm really happy with the way the boys played. We lost the match for our mistakes. The boys are really tired and we cannot do much about it," Jayawardene said on Wednesday,
Old March 17, 2012, 04:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
I said and have always said, that motivation and mindset are the key issues for the boys winning more matches. Since this thread is about the BPL, what we saw was players being motivated to do well and understanding how to play in the BPL. This is undoubtedly a positive experience.

Before you can win, you have to believe you can win, so it's only when you have experienced the winning situation that you can learn it.

Everyone knows the skill levels in the players are there. The A teams and Under 19s hold their own easily against other nations. It is how you use and execute your skill that's important. The team did that.

I will be honest - if Bangladesh played to full potential then they would be mid-ranked in ODIs in time. That's how important what they might be learning, is.

Like other people interested in BD cricket, I have been frustrated how long it is taking to get up to potential. This win against India is a thrill and grabs the headlines. However, a single win needs to be put into context. So with Sri Lanka having a relatively weak squad with some injuries and fatigue, I would hope that BD could win that comfortably. This would start to show progress by the players.

The answer has always been in the heads of the players. The question is can they work it out and continue it? I think they can
Thanks for you reply Ian. I agree we should win this considering the fact that SL's very tired after Commonwealth series. Come on Tigers
Old March 17, 2012, 05:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
Ajfar/BK da let's hope for the best. Let's just not think about losing just like that. Yes, there's a chance for us getting thrased by the Lankans, but then again, we can also defeat them. The tigers have to prove to world cricket that they are not a bunch of Minnows anymore.

Just like Sachin said after the post-match conference....Bangladesh is an "underrated" team.
also, we have received the thrashing in the past since teams rated us beyond what we were worth(Overrated).. we, as fans and players also measured us to be beyond what we were worth in the past...

Overrated/underrated is a relative term since you never really know when or how who will perform and who will flop on a given day.
Old March 17, 2012, 05:45 AM
Cricket Sage

not to take anything away from Bangladesh, this was a relatively weak Indian bowling lineup + flat track + BPL effect+ restricting India below 300 was also an achievement by itself. to really prove BPL's effectiveness, let's see how the momentum continues for the next few games...

based on the last two ODI's the way Bangladesh fought seems to indicate that Alhamdulillah! boys learning how to chase stiff totals in clutch situations(If BPL taught us how to do anything that would be it!)

agree with T_E that Sri Lankan bowling lineup is not a joke.
Old March 17, 2012, 05:47 AM
Cricket Sage

we have to see How Bangladesh does in T20 WC and other tournaments to truly evaluate the effectiveness of BPL, but there is no doubt that the change in mindset and BPL experience played a key part.
Old March 17, 2012, 01:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mushi, Mash

Quote:
The SL squad is somewhat depleted and very tired. This is what I meant by relatively weak squad.

Sri Lanka skipper Mahela Jayawardene appeared a touch resigned when he broke the news that all-rounder Angelo Mathews won't recover from injury and was flying home on Wednesday evening. Medium-pacer Shaminda Eranga will replace him but he is unlikely to join the squad before they play a do-or-die match against Pakistan on Thursday.

But with the fatigue and resultant injures, Sri Lanka go into the match as underdogs. They have played five matches in 10 days in the CB Series, including the travel from Hobart to Melbourne and then to Adelaide, and will be playing their second match in three days here.

Too weary

Except for Suranga Lakmal, Sachithra Senanayake and Seekkuge Prasanna, who were picked for the Asia Cup, others have directly travelled here from Australia. They were so tired that Jayawardene admitted that most players were happy to stay at the hotel when a political rally deprived them of their only training session here before the match against India on Tuesday.

"I'm really happy with the way the boys played. We lost the match for our mistakes. The boys are really tired and we cannot do much about it," Jayawardene said on Wednesday,
As you are here and could carry words to the dressing room, I want to make a point on Mushi's comment after the win against India. He told the media that they decided on the evening before the match to give all out effort to win it for Manjarul (death anniversary) and to make a point.

I wonder why would they need an occasion to make such determination to give all out effort for the next game? Shouldn't they decide on the eve of every match to give all out effort to win the match for the sake of the country/fans? I am sure they want to win every match and try their best, but the resolve that they must next the EVERY NEXT MATCH could make a difference of good show (vs Pak) and outstanding show (vs India).

I am sure they have the talent and capability to win against SL. They only need the gut feeling that they MUST win this game for the sake of country/fans and give an all out effort to win it for us.

Also carry out best of luck wishes to the dressing room.
Old March 17, 2012, 05:32 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

^^ KnightBD - Ian Pont is no longer with the Bangladesh Cricket team. He hasn't been for a while. He is a well wisher of the team.
Old March 17, 2012, 06:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz

And oh, Mashrafe is bowling a lot better now, I guess you deserve some credit for that too
I guess you didn't see Mash bowl before.
He's been bowling like this for long time. Long before Ian Pont came to Bangladesh. This is the same way he bowled against India in 2004, 2007 and against England in 2010. He used to bowl lot better before his injury in WI in 2009.
Old March 17, 2012, 06:32 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
I guess you didn't see Mash bowl before.
He's been bowling like this for long time. Long before Ian Pont came to Bangladesh. This is the same way he bowled against India in 2004, 2007 and against England in 2010. He used to bowl lot better before his injury in WI in 2009.
He probably meant since the last time he bowled internationally i.e. against Australia last year.
Old March 17, 2012, 06:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
He probably meant since the last time he bowled internationally i.e. against Australia last year.
That was after another injury without any match practice. He played so well before the injury. And during/before the Australia series there was too many controversies about him and then captain Shakib.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...g;view=innings
Old March 17, 2012, 09:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Too weary

Adding to coaches points mentioned, they are also mentally preparing for a tough home series against England. Can you imagine the state they must be in? A difficult month in Australia, flying directly to Bangladesh. Getting beaten in the first 2 matches, so many injuries. And now right after this they will have to head home and meet a pumped up England.

They are vulnerable. We have a good chance.
Old March 18, 2012, 02:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

I personally thought and still believe that BPL has given our players build up the skill for achieving finest result in the game: the adaptability, the temperament etc. They had opportunity see themselves among with some good international players in a way that sharing dressing room, practice session all had lots of impact on mindsets.
Old March 18, 2012, 02:37 AM
Cricket Legend

I hope that we'll be able to restrict SL as well if we can bowl in the right places and field well.

Hope this boost from BPL will help the boys in future as well
Old March 18, 2012, 06:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Very positive impact!!!! Boys learnt to be more aggressive,good hitters of the ball and learning the art of scoring quickly.
Old March 18, 2012, 07:13 AM
BC Editorial Team

We'll see what people say once a Test series comes around =p I hope our boys are sent to do hard yards in first-class cricket before the next test series. Shame that Shakib/Tamim doesn't have a county team to play first-class cricket with yet.
Old March 18, 2012, 09:38 AM
Banned

well, I really wish we go to the finals and a win there will be a bonus

If we win against SL other teams will start to have confidence and our team might be invited to play in other series
Old March 19, 2012, 07:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Yes and no, both to the question "Positive impact"

However Yes to "Any impact".

Win against India, we have seen mostly the positive effect.

Against Pakistan at the later stage, we also seen the negative effect they way some of the later order threw their wicket. That was not needed to win that game.
Old March 20, 2012, 12:47 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

Bpl er joy hok
Old March 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Woowww BPL has completely change the face of BD team !!! Boys are soooo confident now.. Everyone believes that they can win from any situation...
Old March 20, 2012, 01:48 PM
Banned

Well, the BPL effect!!

Here in BPL we dont make our players go in parties, get drunk, get laid.....

BPL = CRICKET AND CRICKET ONLY