facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 16, 2011, 01:19 PM
Cricket Sage

He used to have a role in the team.
But now in the WC, he is the ROLE (Model)

Old March 16, 2011, 01:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Kabir,

You're harping on his past shortcomings and, perhaps, overlooking a touch his present improvements which is staggering in BD context. I dawat you to watch his batting against England again and this time with an analytical eye. I hope you will be massively impressed with the vast improvement Imrul has made so far with his batting.
I didn't question any of his improvements. I just pointed out some of those things that he is yet to master. I'm extremely satisfied with the way he improved, and believe he can do more. So I'll come to your dawat without any mishti

Quote:
That knock against England under tremendous pressure the best I have seen from any BD batsman. I cant reiterate this more. Imrul's temperament, application, willingness to fight, defence, selection and proper execution of shots, single mindedness and the contagious confidence he exhibited was nothing short than a batting MASTERCLASS.
Not sure if there's anything I said which we disagree on here. Can you point me to something I said that negated this?

Quote:
If this was a Lara or a Tendulkar, I promise you, the tv pundits would have gone bonkers. The English bowlers didn't even have a sniff of getting his wicket. Thats how well Imrul batted that day. When he defended he middled it and when went for shots it found the sweet part of his bat with precision. No streaky edges whatsoever.
It wasn't chanceless against Netherlands, or was it England. Sorry can't recall, but one of those games he did edge to the keeper and the keeper couldn't collect it.

Quote:
The way he 'pushed' Shahzad straight down the ground for a FOUR was pure poetry in motion -to put in the style of an oft-repeating beyond boredom ShamChow.
I love that shot. But just like the one chance he gave for his wicket, we can't dwell on one poetic shot. That shot was indeed beautiful to watch. The coordination was exquisite. I haven't seen very many shots from him of that type - so I would say lets hold off on it until we see him such poetic shots regularly.

Quote:
This thread was to celebrate Imruls ultra professional batting performance, especially, in a Bangladesh cricket context. Of course, there will always be room for improvements. There will also be future failures. He might get out for a golden duck in the next outing but what he has acomplished here will always stick in my mind.
I apologize then - I shouldn't have pointed out a few things where he can improve. Although, there's nothing ultra professional about his batting performance. He batted with a head on top of his shoulder, which is what batsmen are supposed to do. He didn't choke under tremendous pressure - which is why I'm signing so much for him. He gets kudos for whatever he does...pointing out his limitations take NOTHING away from that performance during these matches.
Old March 16, 2011, 02:35 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Zaheer Khan, Sachin

Quote:
Right! Australia got trounced by this weak attack in Tests. They don't deserve to play Test cricket. Thats what I'm saying!
I do not even feel like answering to you but then maybe thought you might need more cricketing knowledge, so answering to you...

1. There was no Broad.
2. With dew, Swann and other part timers were not as useful.
3. Anderson is waste when it does not swing. Look at his performance at all the matches in the world cup.
4. Against this English bowling attack, Ireland chased 327 and Holland scored 292.

I never took away the credibility from Imrul's performance. I had just mentioned we will get more knowledge about Imrul against stronger teams.

I still feel Tamim and Shakib are only world class batsmen in BD side. I hate to mention this in a thread where Imrul's performance is being celebrated. Imrul's performance shone just because of stupidity of other batsmen and he got time to settle because of Tamim's firework at the start.

Sometimes, on reading such senseless posts I question myself on what am I doing in BD cricket forum.

- Mirza
Old March 16, 2011, 02:38 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Arey bhai Kabir, no need to take my post so seriously. Imrul er shaane dui ekta bhalo kotha lekher tagide tumor post ta beche niyechilam...ai ar ki. I know every Bangladeshi would have enjoyed his knock...not just this banda.

Having said that, the knock Imrul has played and its kind isn't a norm yet in BD batting. Therefore, the use of 'ultra' there and I did say it was in our context. Btw, I don't think Imrul was dropped in the England match. Anyway, thanks for your post.
Old March 16, 2011, 03:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaig1
I do not even feel like answering to you but then maybe thought you might need more cricketing knowledge, so answering to you...

1. There was no Broad.
3. Anderson is waste when it does not swing. Look at his performance at all the matches in the world cup.
4. Against this English bowling attack, Ireland chased 327 and Holland scored 292.

Sometimes, on reading such senseless posts I question myself on what am I doing in BD cricket forum.

- Mirza
Sir Mirza Sahab,

Thanks for the gratis lessons. It has been permenantly stored through the hippocampus into the related lobe as only God intended.

And please, don't you dare depriving us of your royal presence here without which, of course, our very existence will be null and void.

Your true and proud proja,

Chockmock Sen
Old March 16, 2011, 03:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:

1. There was no Broad.

I never took away the credibility from Imrul's performance. I had just mentioned we will get more knowledge about Imrul against stronger teams.

I still feel Tamim and Shakib are only world class batsmen in BD side. I hate to mention this in a thread where Imrul's performance is being celebrated. Imrul's performance shone just because of stupidity of other batsmen and he got time to settle because of Tamim's firework at the start.

- Mirza
if you are really a bengali and a muslim as you claim to be, whats with all the condescension? even if a poster or two ruffles your feathers, the rest of the forum is quite "sensical".

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 16, 2011, 04:23 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

from the interview:

Quote:
ইমরুল: সেঞ্চুরি করতে হলে ভাগ্যও লাগে। অনেকে কিন্তু ৯৯ রানেও আউট হয়ে যায়! হল্যান্ড রান করেছে অনেক কম। আমি যদি সেঞ্চুরির জন্য বেশি মারতাম, তার পরও ৮০-৮৫-র বেশি করতে পারতাম না। তা ছাড়া শাহরিয়ার নাফীস ভাই অনেক দিন পর দলে ফিরেছেন, ওনারও কিছু রান করা দরকার ছিল। ওনাকে বলেছি একটু সময় নিয়ে খেলেন, কিছু রান করেন।

Translation: Imrul: You need luck to score centuries. a lot of people got out at 99. Holland scored very few runs. If i tried to hit out for century i would probably would not have scored past 80-85 runs. In addition, Brother Shahriar Nafees has returned to the team after along time, he needed to score some runs. I told him, take your time, score some runs.

well, Such a selfless player: I like Imrul wish him all the best.
Old March 16, 2011, 04:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

last part of the interview:

Quote:
 দলের টিম স্পিরিট খুব ভালো মনে হচ্ছে এখন। এটাও কি ভালো করার একটা কারণ?
ইমরুল: যা করার, দলের সবাই এখন একসঙ্গে করি। প্রতিটি ক্রিকেটার একসঙ্গে দাঁড়িয়ে পাঁচ ওয়াক্ত নামাজ পড়ি। যখনই আমরা একসঙ্গে হই, নিজেদের মধ্যে আলাপ হয় কী করলে কী হবে। আমার মনে হয়, এটা একটা বড় অ্যাডভান্টেজ

translation:
Questioner: The team spirit seems really upbeat nowadays? is that a reason behind doing well?

Imrul: whatever we do, we do everything together. all of our cricketers pray 5 times a day in jamaat. whenever we gather together, we discuss amongst ourselves the possible outcomes based on the actions we take. i think this is a big advantage.
Old March 16, 2011, 04:39 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd
AND other to fail!!??
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Nijer iye kete jatra bhongo kora ari...tai na shartaz miyan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
You don't want BD to do well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaan
so, for u players r bigger than the

country and team, no matter team loose u will be happy of TIK and SHAK score big?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevita
I want BANGLADESH to win no matter who perform

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Off course I want Bangladesh to win, I was just saying that personally I would be happier if Shakib and Tamim contributed in those wins.

Because lets face it, they are the only world-class players in the team, and often times the others live vicariously through them.

I would be more than happy if some of the other players were to become world-class.
Old March 16, 2011, 08:48 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Few observations that I have about Imrul, not in any particular order.

1. He likes to play himself in - gets his eye in and gets comfortable before he goes for the shots. Obviously that doesn't include those incredibly bad deliveries that deserve to go to the boundary. Given that bowlers can sometimes keep a tight line and length continuously, it's not necessarily a good thing for Imrul. So far he hasn't showed to have those occasional brain farts under pressure, probably because he can the bowler would gift him with occasional hit-me balls.

2. He sometimes tries to play too defensively with straight bat. I remember against England he played a ball that's far outside off as if he's driving the ball to long on...it ended up going to more square from deep cover. He could have driven for the covers...and that would have gotten him a boundary. I consider that shot to be a mishit, although the commentators didn't think so.

3. His running between the wickets should improve. Gifting your wicket away with a silly runout isn't going to win you matches. It hasn't stopped us from winning the matches this WC, but it could have.

Other than that, I know the coach has many things to work on with even the most technically correct batsmen. So lets leave it to the coaches. I love the way Imrul keeps his cool. He can improve a lot more. He should take the opportunity to learn from Siddons and co.

Oh, lets not forget about his fielding abilities. I assume this thread is only aimed at hearing about his batting performance.
This is off topic but bro I just saw how many posts u have on this forum and its Krz! Now I know what u do when u work from home!
Old March 16, 2011, 09:05 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:

1. There was no Broad.

- Mirza

Hi. Regarding your claim that we need more knowledge about Imrul's performance against stronger teams and that Tamim and Shakib are the only world class batsmen in the BD side, I thought I'd point out a simple statistic:

Against the top 8 test teams, Imrul's ODI batting average (32.5 in 26 innings) is higher than that of both Shakib (28.7 in 61 innings) and Tamim (27.4 in 61 innings).

See the following thread:
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=36568

As always, past peformance is not a guarantee of future performance, but the record probably speaks for itself. Of course, I am hopeful that all three of them, as well as others in the team, will be able to steadily increase their batting averages further. All the best to them.
Old March 16, 2011, 10:45 PM
Club Cricketer

Mr Mirza,

I think you are too smart or too much biased. Because -

1) Shaqib is not a top order batsman in test. I hope you know what I mean. Tamim's one day performance is still not consistent. Let Tamim couple of years more and then compare him with some one like Misbah, dravid, tendulkar.
2) Imrul is a very tough guy. I remember about Steve waugh when he just came in and he was a bits and pieces cricketer. Look where he finished due to sheer mental strength. I think couple of years back I first noticed Imrul's bravery in a key Abahoni/Mohamedan match when there are couple of very good test players from other countries playing. The guy finished the high scoring match in cool head.

3) There were too many cricketers like Tamim/Shaqib came in and never fulfilled there early promises. Also, regarding Shaqib, he has too many problems as a batsman. But Shaqib is also mentally very strong and with time, I hope he becomes a gem of a batsman like Steve wagh.

4) So far, what I have seen in Imrul, in the long run, he may be more successful than Tamim/Shaqib. So don't talk like a one sided blind man. I am actually very surprised about your comment "Imrul's performance shone just because of stupidity of other batsmen and he got time to settle because of Tamim's firework at the start.". Because, if you are smart (or not a stupid), you should know our most of the batsman are stupid including Tamim. What you mean by other batsman? Most of them are kids and we tear our hair in every match because of their childish like out. At least Imrul did something good consistently.

"I do not even feel like answering to you but then maybe thought you might need more cricketing knowledge, so answering to you...

1. There was no Broad.

- Mirza "
Old March 16, 2011, 11:23 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
if you are really a bengali and a muslim as you claim to be, whats with all the condescension? even if a poster or two ruffles your feathers, the rest of the forum is quite "sensical".
wtf. i see we have some bigots in this forum. if you can't refrain from being one and realize that the year is 2011, at least, please, keep this crap to yourself and realize that this is a public internet forum. (please nobody else reply to this as i didn't want this to go off-topic. just felt compelled to point it out as I find this embarrassing and offensive in nature. wonder if this is against BC "rules," or whether there aren't any regarding this issue, or simply mods aren't bothered to police this b/c they think it's not too big a deal.)

Anyway, on topic: Lets not go overboard on Kayes. He scored two consecutive half-centuries and played well - that's great. But that doesn't turn him into a "world-class" (obviously exaggerating here - none of you said that) batsman overnight. Lets just hope that he continues to work hard and that we'll see more of the same, and eventually he'll become more consistent with such performances. Right now, I'm just really glad that he's following Siddons' instructions regarding his role in the team. I was hoping Junaed would do the same.
Old March 17, 2011, 12:10 AM
Street Cricketer

Ya sure Imrul isn't the cleanest hitter of the ball, doesn't have all the strokes in book and looks shaky at the beginning. But c'mon the guy has grit! He plays within his own capabilities, he knows what he's capable of doing and follows through. Why the hate???... is it bcuz we finally have a cricketer who's willing to work hard to improve and play sensibly instead of being flamboyant. We don't need 4's and 6's and then getting out with an erratic shot, we actually need somebody to score the singles and rotate strike (he needs to improve on this). He's getting there though! His running between the wickets is definitely of concern but when we have fat idiots like Tamim (ya he's my fave player) and skinny fools Shakib (ok maybe athletic), I am happy to see a decently built player! I wonder if Mahmudullah could shine up the order if he got the chance?
Old March 17, 2011, 12:23 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdot_Tiger
Ya sure Imrul isn't the cleanest hitter of the ball, doesn't have all the strokes in book and looks shaky at the beginning. But c'mon the guy has grit! He plays within his own capabilities, he knows what he's capable of doing and follows through. Why the hate???... is it bcuz we finally have a cricketer who's willing to work hard to improve and play sensibly instead of being flamboyant. We don't need 4's and 6's and then getting out with an erratic shot, we actually need somebody to score the singles and rotate strike (he needs to improve on this). He's getting there though! His running between the wickets is definitely of concern but when we have fat idiots like Tamim (ya he's my fave player) and skinny fools Shakib (ok maybe athletic), I am happy to see a decently built player! I wonder if Mahmudullah could shine up the order if he got the chance?
What hate? I didn't see anyone "hating" on Imrul. And only one person disagreed that he genuinely played well, saying it was the result of poor bowling. So, not sure what/who you're referring too.

That he played well, there's not doubt about it. And, personally, I didn't point out any shortcomings, either. Just saying something is not proven conclusively based on just two samples. It would be silly to say so. This is the first time Kayes played with such grit and composure in two consecutive innings. But, if you want to play Nostradamus or call something based on just two occurrences, be my guest. I'm sure if he got out with a duck the next game, a few of the same people would say he's not good or even that he shouldn't be in the starting XI (like the few here who suggested to drop Tamim or that he should be demoted to middle order ).
Old March 17, 2011, 12:24 AM
Cricket Legend

This might be Imrul's breakthrough series, but I'd prefer him and Tanim coming back as a pair at lunch a couple more times in Test matches.
Old March 17, 2011, 12:29 AM
Club Cricketer

Hey Ian, you are correct. Imrul's ODI record is much much better than his test record. I too hope he's able to improve on his test record...and coming back as pair at lunch would go a long way toward that end!
Old March 17, 2011, 01:44 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayan
What hate? I didn't see anyone "hating" on Imrul. And only one person disagreed that he genuinely played well, saying it was the result of poor bowling. So, not sure what/who you're referring too.

That he played well, there's not doubt about it. And, personally, I didn't point out any shortcomings, either. Just saying something is not proven conclusively based on just two samples. It would be silly to say so. This is the first time Kayes played with such grit and composure in two consecutive innings. But, if you want to play Nostradamus or call something based on just two occurrences, be my guest. I'm sure if he got out with a duck the next game, a few of the same people would say he's not good or even that he shouldn't be in the starting XI (like the few here who suggested to drop Tamim or that he should be demoted to middle order ).
Lol I think I am hardly emulating Nostradamus at this point. His Avg speaks for itself, sure the SR sucks but he's our most consistent batsmen. Who else would you say is consistent? I remember commentators commending Shakib in WC'07 as a steady ODI batsmen always getting the 30 odd runs, he seems to have lost that touch. He has always seemed a more fluent bowler than batsmen to me. The only other competitor for consistent batsmen is Tamim but really is he consistent, look at the ducks! I think the biggest flaw of our fans is YES we jump to conclusion wayyy to quick. Just because Tamim had a few ducks doesn't mean he's gone forever, he's got that fat bhuri to get rid off and ta da you've got the solution. Other examples of fans (not you personally) jumping to conclusions 1) Mash should return cuz we got our asses kicked by India, and he somehow miraculously would save us. 2)Ash is our solution to our PP or screw Ash, bring in Alok, does everyone really want to take that HUGE risk, with a 2% probability that they JUST might be firing from all cylinders 3)Bring in Nazmul, you really want to bring in a guy who hasn't played a single game in the WC for potentially our biggest game??? 4)...the list goes on, I'm going to sleep!
Old March 17, 2011, 02:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahela Jayawardene

just work on that SR man...keep it at 80...and if wickets down 65-70...ektu hath khula
Old March 17, 2011, 04:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Baz

Yea Imrul just needs to be consistent, he will soon become a great player
Old March 17, 2011, 09:43 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Zaheer Khan, Sachin

Well my last post on this forum ---

Here are my thoughts about BD cricket forum-
1. Even small disagreement about BD players performance or praise leads to many posts which do not try to argue by logic but instead try to ridicule the knowledge of person or even the person. I do get a feeling that there are not many people in the forum who can take criticism of BD players from a non-Bangladeshi.

2. There are lots and lots of good people on the forum and I will still enjoy reading the posts from those people.

3. Am I a real Bengali muslim? No, actually I am not a Bengali muslim. Only my late beloved paternal grand mother happens to be a Bengali Muslim. I lived with her for first 16 years of my life and for 16 years I used to think that I am Bengali Muslim. Only later I came to realize that I am actually of Sindhi decent and hence I do not look like most of the Bengali Muslims. My grand father worked in Chittagong from 1933 to 1947 before moving to Srinagar after partition. At heart I always felt like a Bengali Muslim and my grandmother always told me to be a good Bengali Muslim.

4. No I am not very smart or knowledgeable so obviously you guys are correct about Imrul or Tamim or Sidhu etc etc. I do not have anything to contribute as anyways Indian perspective is usually not even desired. Indians are only needed to praise BD players. I was advised earlier to ignore few posters and get on. But, I do get a feeling there are substantial number of people on this forum who do not have a positive outlook about India. I am a fierce Indian and a true Muslim. Criticism about any of these two is unbearable to me and hence no point in staying on this forum.

6. Just a tip to few people --- It does not look good when you distort the name of cricketers whom you hate. (Example Sehwag to Sehfag etc etc). Such people present a very poor picture of Bangladesh on a forum which is viewed by international community.

5. All the best to Bangladesh Cricket and I love you Bangladesh.

Al-hamdu lillahi rabbil 'alamin
Old March 17, 2011, 04:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Arey bhai Kabir, no need to take my post so seriously. Imrul er shaane dui ekta bhalo kotha lekher tagide tumor post ta beche niyechilam...ai ar ki. I know every Bangladeshi would have enjoyed his knock...not just this banda.

Having said that, the knock Imrul has played and its kind isn't a norm yet in BD batting. Therefore, the use of 'ultra' there and I did say it was in our context. Btw, I don't think Imrul was dropped in the England match. Anyway, thanks for your post.
Serious koi hoilam?

True, that knock was special because we haven't seen very many do that. It's always a pleasure to see new players emerging in our team.
Old March 17, 2011, 04:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Well my last post on this forum ---
Be a man, stick around. Things you're complaining about, it happens in any forum geared towards a particular team. Don't take it personally.
Old March 17, 2011, 04:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Be a man, stick around. Things you're complaining about, it happens in any forum geared towards a particular team. Don't take it personally.
Well put.
mbaig, bro! don't be so heavy. stick around. we are actually a nice bunch. we just like our food spicy sometimes.
Old March 17, 2011, 05:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Mbaig1 you are over reacting its just about cricket
enjoys the game and don't take it too seriously we are all irrational

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)