facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 6, 2007, 09:58 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Please enlighten us who might that be.

Old April 6, 2007, 07:34 PM
Banned

^^hatebreed, somethings are better left unsaid. that's one territory i'd wish none of you explore and nor would I or anyone else ....
Old April 7, 2007, 12:22 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

No Election in 18 months!!
OMG!!
The Death of Democracy in Bangladesh!!
God!! what are we gonna do now??
what are the students of our country be busy with??
what are are great patriotic politicians gonna do??

Oh..no more Khaleda Hasina atleast for a while!!
whos gonna lead us to the promised land in the future...
oh my god..tareq in jail too..

where is Bangladesh heading too...???

is this a dream or is it for real??
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old April 8, 2007, 05:26 AM
Cricket Legend

A no. of quarters are saying that this current govt will be very sympathetic to the World Bank and IMF and will try to implement WB/IMF recommendations wholeheartedly. An increase in fuel prices was one of the things the WB would want. Others include selling natural gas at very cheap prices, and opening up Bangladesh to foreign companies and allowing them full freedom to do what they want with minimal accountability.

Now would WB/IMF be good for Bangladesh's development or not?

Perhaps members with detailed knowledge of economics/finance will have a better idea than me
Old April 8, 2007, 08:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Okay, I am no economist (and I'll let them speak up), but following WB/IMF suggestions (neoliberal/privatisation) pretty much beggared Argentina. It's one of the reasons why most of the Latin American nations now look askance at WB/IMF and are not interested in WB/IMF loans (it also helps having a wealthy Venezuela in the background). And frankly, it's always struck me as amusing that the WB pushed a particularly American corporate vision of privatisation and free trade, when the US has indulged in protectionism with agriculture and steel. And where the US has gone along with it, they have basically eliminated their manufacturing base (almost all new jobs are in the service industry), ended up with overwhelming foreign deficits, and damaged necessary government infrastructure (e.g. privatisation of support systems for the US army).

Frankly, some of the stronger Asian economies seem to be doing reasonably well working with foreign companies, but without offering them any sort of carte blanche to do whatever they want. That is what we should emulate -- we have EPZs, we should use them. We have skilled labour; it was the incessant hartals that discouraged foreign companies from investing in them. Foreign companies are interested in doing business with us -- fine, but we should dictate the terms, and they should be such that both they and we can profit, not let them run around with minimal accountability. There's enough competition between foreign corporations that if one balks at our terms, another will jump at it.

The days of the East India Company are long gone. Let's not bring them back.
Old April 8, 2007, 08:50 AM
Club Cricketer

i am very happy and excited indeed..

the amount of goodworks they showed only last coupla months, i wonder where we or our loving country gonna be in 18 months!!

I dont think 18 months gonna be a big problem for a election and also OUR FOKRUDDIN & CO are wiser then most of the so-called politicians and they know how to handle them. haah haa haa

now, we the general pple should support them and do the right thing
Old April 8, 2007, 08:59 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

did anyone hear Hasina talking to BBC and asking question why it would take 18 months?

She should know why! It is to fulfill her demand of Picture ID cards, and correct voter list which was not altered to satisfy any party lol. Nijer paye nijey ei bhabey kural marey.
Old April 8, 2007, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Okay, I am no economist (and I'll let them speak up), but following WB/IMF suggestions (neoliberal/privatisation) pretty much beggared Argentina. It's one of the reasons why most of the Latin American nations now look askance at WB/IMF and are not interested in WB/IMF loans (it also helps having a wealthy Venezuela in the background). And frankly, it's always struck me as amusing that the WB pushed a particularly American corporate vision of privatisation and free trade, when the US has indulged in protectionism with agriculture and steel. And where the US has gone along with it, they have basically eliminated their manufacturing base (almost all new jobs are in the service industry), ended up with overwhelming foreign deficits, and damaged necessary government infrastructure (e.g. privatisation of support systems for the US army).

Frankly, some of the stronger Asian economies seem to be doing reasonably well working with foreign companies, but without offering them any sort of carte blanche to do whatever they want. That is what we should emulate -- we have EPZs, we should use them. We have skilled labour; it was the incessant hartals that discouraged foreign companies from investing in them. Foreign companies are interested in doing business with us -- fine, but we should dictate the terms, and they should be such that both they and we can profit, not let them run around with minimal accountability. There's enough competition between foreign corporations that if one balks at our terms, another will jump at it.

The days of the East India Company are long gone. Let's not bring them back.
Like many other Bangladeshis I see the January 11 revolution as the second independence day of Bangladesh after our defeat and expulsion of Pakistan from our country. After the Pakistanis were kicked out our biggest problem were these money-grabbing, power-hungry politicians. The new government is cleaning the country up and we are insha'Allah going to have a permanent change in our political culture.

However the new government is clearly US-backed. Fakhruddin Ahmed worked in Washington many years for the World Bank which is an organization of economic imperialism, and the US boosted aid to BD by 40% after the 1/11 takeover. I hope the BD govt does what shaad bhai recommends and not let US and other western companies exploit Bangladesh with no real benefit to us. Yes..please, I definately don't want to see a repeat of the East India Company.

One more thing though, is apparently the US wants us to have very good trading relations with India including the selling of energy and so on. The new government has made quite a few important deals with India already. That does have its benefits.
Old April 8, 2007, 09:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAsif

However the new government is clearly US-backed. Fakhruddin Ahmed worked in Washington many years for the World Bank which is an organization of economic imperialism, and the US boosted aid to BD by 40% after the 1/11 takeover. I hope the BD govt does what shaad bhai recommends and not let US and other western companies exploit Bangladesh with no real benefit to us. Yes..please, I definately don't want to see a repeat of the East India Company.
Now, we just hope that our current govt will keep Bangladesh's interest at the top. Apparently the USA wants us to be less friendly towards China. SO lets see what will happen. We dont want to be rid of Hasina/Khaleda only to be like a Philippines or any other American dominated banana state.
Old April 8, 2007, 02:34 PM
Banned

The army is not going to buy Chinese or Pakistani equipment anymore from what I hear but US equipment. Everyone knows the US is planning to take on China as their newest rival to global dominance and the US is going to prop up India. It is a shame we will be forced to distance ourselves from China, but it is no big deal. A couple of years ago, when there was tension between Myanmar and BD, China refused to send ammunition or something to BD. Also China will always place us before Pakistan. Some analysts think Pakistan might even disintegrate, Yugoslavia style in the near future, thus leaving China without its biggest ally.

Anyway I want us to have good relations with our direct neighbours, India, Myanmar, our regional neighours such as Nepal and Bhutan, as well as good relations with most countries of the world. We are a hospitable and peaceful people.
Old April 8, 2007, 10:18 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ponting, Iqbal, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
My only complaint is why they didn't start this on Nov-Dec 2006 when i was visiting? Could have enjoyed a little more.

For that reason only,

Now after 12 months get an extension of 12 more months. That way they can make sure no BNP or AL would not be participating in the election. And my next visit is peaceful.
haha my sentiments exactly. those damn oborods really got on my nerves.
And yes i agree the 18th months till elections is a good thing
Old April 8, 2007, 11:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Great news.
Old April 12, 2007, 12:44 AM
Test Cricketer

who needs election anyway. this election crap is just waste of money. hasina, khaleda needs to be in jail. this government is doing a good job, i hope they can keep it up. bangladesh's future depends on it.
Old April 13, 2007, 02:54 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Bangladesh polls 'by end of 2008'

The head of Bangladesh's caretaker government says he expects to hold elections by the end of 2008. In a nation-wide television address, Fakhruddin Ahmed said free and fair elections would be held after the introduction of reforms.
The announcement has been welcomed by one of the country's main parties.
The army-backed interim government postponed elections due to have been held in January after months of street protests and violence.
"I hope the holding of elections will be possible before the end of the year 2008 and that it will be fully free and honest," Mr Ahmed said in a broadcast on state television and radio.
Ban plea
"Steps have been taken so that criminals, terrorists and black money holders cannot participate in the elections and corrupt democracy," he added.
Mr Ahmed said the interim government would not stay in power a day longer than necessary.
The announcement has been welcomed by the main opposition Awami League party.

"This is the first time the government announced a specific timeframe for elections. Of course we welcome this timeframe," Abdul Jalil, general secretary of the Awami League, was quoted by news agency AFP as saying.
Mr Jalil called on the government to lift the ban on political activities "so that we can discuss with the election commission the reforms and other poll-related issues".
Last week, Bangladesh's chief election commissioner ATM Shamsul Huda said it would take at least 18 months before new elections could be called.
He said the delay was needed to allow time to prepare new voting lists and new electoral laws.
The interim government postponed elections, which were due on 22 January, after months of street protests and violence.
The US has called for a clear timetable on the restoration of democracy.
At present all political activity is banned. Dozens of senior politicians and associates have been arrested on corruption charges.
The government has vowed not to hold new elections until it has cleared up corruption.
BBC >>

Last edited by reverse_swing; April 13, 2007 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: mod.thread.merged
Old April 14, 2007, 01:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

NDTV report on the same

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv...al+about+polls

Thought you guys would be interested