facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 18, 2005, 01:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib
Default Document bad umpiring decision against BD

People at this forum have been complaining a lot about unfair treatment of Bangladesh from cricinfo. The only way this will stop is when Bangladesh becomes a very good team, or if we can properly highlight how Bangladesh has been treated unfairly by the press and the ICC umpires. Now, pointing the bias of a cricinfo reporter does not really help us too much in the long run because at the end of the day the performance of our team is below par. I thought we need to spend our energy more constructively. So I turned my attention to the issue of umpiring. This is definitely one of the reasons for our failure because we got bad decisions at crucial times and also quite regularly... definitely more frequently than other teams. Recently, West Indies was the victim, but the fact that umpiring “inadequate” was mentioned by ICC. We never get such apologies from ICC.

I think one problem is that our case is not presented properly. I remember when Bashar went to the captain’s meeting at ICC, he wanted to mention it but he did not get a chance to do so. I thought one way we can contribute in making our case stronger is to document all bad umpiring decisions that were given against us. Hopefully, when other people begins to see the scale and consistency of bad decisions, then may be one day ICC will take a note of this.

What do you guys think about this… Do you think it is possible to do?

The format for recording the list could be quite flexible… The link to the article and the names of the umpires should be recorded.

Edited on, December 18, 2005, 8:59 AM GMT, by Carte Blanche.
Reason: mod.content: wrong link

Old December 18, 2005, 03:58 AM
Cricket Legend

As a fan, keeping count of the decisions that have gone against us is as easy as maintaining a diary. But how effective is that really? If anyone has to do that, it should be at the Board's administrative level. May be even the coach? Okay bad idea. I forgot Dav is no Woolmer. Anyhow, I'm not really sure how useful this will be. I am tempted to consider this a failure on Bashar's part that he failed to raise this issue in the last Captains' meeting. But given the dominating presence of the elite (English-speaking) nations, I feel that would be harsh on our captain. Nonetheless, CB should come forward and do something serious about this. We can't have Ashockers and La Thiefs ruining the few and far between chances we get on the field.
Old December 18, 2005, 01:21 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
As a fan, keeping count of the decisions that have gone against us is as easy as maintaining a diary. But how effective is that really? If anyone has to do that, it should be at the Board's administrative level. May be even the coach? Okay bad idea. I forgot Dav is no Woolmer. Anyhow, I'm not really sure how useful this will be. I am tempted to consider this a failure on Bashar's part that he failed to raise this issue in the last Captains' meeting. But given the dominating presence of the elite (English-speaking) nations, I feel that would be harsh on our captain. Nonetheless, CB should come forward and do something serious about this. We can't have Ashockers and La Thiefs ruining the few and far between chances we get on the field.
The number of bad decisions in any given series has gone up.I think this has more to do with the amount of people we have in the elite umpiring panel and number of games they have to cover with a short period of time .Also human errors were there too.It's hard to judge what was the reason behind any bad decisions.

But we would like to see /hear more actions from ICC about these ongoing issue
Old December 18, 2005, 07:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

the overall quality of umpiring has definitely gone down.however,weak teams have always been at the receiving end of bad decisions in all sports,both individual and team.if you watch nba,you will see how stars get fouls just by being touched by their opponents.shane warne wins most of his appeals even if they are marginal.if rafiq appeals the way shane does,he will probably lose his match fee.the only way to overcome this problem is by becoming a top tier team.otherwise,who the hell is going to give a damn about a team that loses test matches in 3 days anyway.

Edited on, December 19, 2005, 12:37 AM GMT, by sunniath.

Edited on, December 19, 2005, 7:22 AM GMT, by sunniath.
Old December 18, 2005, 10:08 PM
Test Cricketer

*token cricket related post :embaressed: *

You'd have to keep a track of bad umpiring decisions against all teams - otherwise what would you compare Bangladesh's totals with? But as sunniath said, you'd probably just find that weaker nations have more bad decisions against them than stronger ones..
Old December 19, 2005, 01:56 PM
Test Cricketer

I think a compilation of bad decisions listed by umpires who dispensed those will be more informative. It will help sort out the bad or biased umpires. You may recall, Pakistanis had a big beef over a particular umpire. It may be interesting to see if an umpire is consisntently dishing out hogwash against some specific conountry while remaining entirely objective with respect to other contries.

I am throwing out a challenge. Lets see who can write BC article about it.

Edited on, December 20, 2005, 6:46 PM GMT, by LateCut.
Old December 19, 2005, 02:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by fab

You'd have to keep a track of bad umpiring decisions against all teams - otherwise what would you compare Bangladesh's totals with?
Ooopps yes. I forgot about that.
Old December 19, 2005, 02:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
Quote:
Originally posted by fab

You'd have to keep a track of bad umpiring decisions against all teams - otherwise what would you compare Bangladesh's totals with?
Ooopps yes. I forgot about that.
Good point fab.
Old December 23, 2005, 12:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by sunniath
the only way to overcome this problem is by becoming a top tier team.otherwise,who the hell is going to give a damn about a team that loses test matches in 3 days anyway.

Edited on, December 19, 2005, 7:22 AM GMT, by sunniath.
"Might is right" does not belong to sports Even if its the status quo, it doesnt make it right.

Also, I dont think umpiring or ICC imcompetency has much to do with how good a country plays.

Sri Lanka suffered even when they were the best side in the world.