facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 21, 2012, 03:15 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Three cheers, Bangladesh ! The job is not over yet.

Gone are the days when people of Bangladesh would be happy with a sporadic win or a match in which their team went down fighting.The Tigers have now proven they are no longer minnows but a team as good as any other top side in World Cricket, on current form.

So reaching the final is not good enough. Reaching a final is not easy and given that the Tigers are one of the best ODI sides in World cricket right now, they should make the maximum out of this opportunity and go all out to win. Just one more win between them and the Asia Cup - which could transform Bangla-cricket.

Sri Lanka lost yesterday's match and they have lost all three matches in this tournament but no one would think that they would be down in the dumps for long. They are still considered serious opponents capable of beating any side in the World. This is because of the transformation in Sri Lankan cricket - the psyche of the players and officials, self-belief, commitment, uplifting of standards, respect from opponents etc. - that came about when Sri Lanka won the World Cup in 1996.

The same thing will happen in Bangladesh if they win the Asia Cup on Thursday.

Yesterday's match was a dead rubber for Sri Lanka. They had been knocked out of the final even before the match started and they were only playing for pride - they needed to win - and to meet their official commitment. So a lot of my friends here in Sri Lanka admit that they had secretly hoped for a Bangladeshi win; they would really like to see Bangladesh winning the title. (To be frank, I, for one, wanted Sri Lanka to win and was thoroughly disappointed by our performace last night.) Sri Lankans will never forget the night when we won the World Cup and most of us would like to see Bangladesh, long considered minnows of international cricket - which is why we identify with you - winning this title.

This Bangladesh team is very different from most other sides in that they do not depend on just one or two stars. Their success throughout this tournament has been a very consistent team effort. Even after Shakib (a class act !) got out last night, there was no doubt that Bangladesh would win; it was only a matter of time. In my book, they are the best side out of the four teams in this tournament and I dearly hope that they would go on to win the title on Thursday.

The Tigers' wins over India and Sri Lanka were emphatic, clinical and well planned out; absolutely no excuses in favour of India or Sri Lanka. It was only a couple of mistakes that cost the TIgers the match with Pakistan. I do think they are favourites to win this Asia Cup.

Right now I am not aware of the assignments of the Tigers in the rest of this year (apart from the T20 World cup, of course) but I do hope that they would get to play the top sides of World cricket, like South Africa, Australia and England in their conditions, in Tests and ODIs. Bangladesh will realise their true potential by playing these top sides in their own conditions. The FTP seems very unfair at the moment, with good, quality cricket reserved for the "powers that be". With more opportunities, Bangladesh will shine as a young giant in World Cricket.

My heartiest congratulations to the Tigers and the people of Bangladesh. Looking at the happiness on the faces of the spectators last night (too), I thought your country really deserved this success.

You have the cup of tea in your hand now. You only have to sip the tea, without spilling it.

Old March 21, 2012, 03:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Now all depends on how they handle the pressure of Big Tournament Final. I say, forget about final, pressure such things, Go and enjoy ! Bangladesh has nothing to lose now, even if they lose the game still it will be considered as success and if they can win the game, it will be icing on the cake
Old March 21, 2012, 03:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Now all depends on how they handle the pressure of Big Tournament Final. I say, forget about final, pressure such things, Go and enjoy ! Bangladesh has nothing to lose now, even if they lose the game still it will be considered as success and if they can win the game, it will be icing on the cake
Yes, we don't have anything to lose....I think it's Pakistan who'll be under pressure more than us....they were hot favourites at the beginning of the tournament whereas we were mere underdogs....we have to give 200% in order to make sure the cup's ours...otherwise, no worries....the whole cricket world will have to accept that we are no longer "minnows"
Old March 21, 2012, 03:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
Yes, we don't have anything to lose....I think it's Pakistan who'll be under pressure more than us....they were hot favourites at the beginning of the tournament whereas we were mere underdogs....we have to give 200% in order to make sure the cup's ours...otherwise, no worries....the whole cricket world will have to accept that we are no longer "minnows"
I am afraid I cannot agree with this: "Yes, we don't have anything to lose.."

Bangladesh is now a very good side and they could be expected to win this Cup; so they do have the Cup to lose.

You could have said you are happy with getting into the final and you had nothing to lose if the Tigers were still minnows. They are now one of the best sides in ODI cricket, without doubt. You will see it in the months to come.

GO TIGERS ! Win this cup !
Old March 21, 2012, 04:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abherath
I am afraid I cannot agree with this: "Yes, we don't have anything to lose.."

Bangladesh is now a very good side and they could be expected to win this Cup; so they do have the Cup to lose.

You could have said you are happy with getting into the final and you had nothing to lose if the Tigers were still minnows. They are now one of the best sides in ODI cricket, without doubt. You will see it in the months to come.

GO TIGERS ! Win this cup !

Knowing our team, i wont go that far. I had a same feeling like yours after the NZ whitewashed. But did not take too long to come back to reality. No doubt Bangladesh has outperformed other teams in every departments in Asia Cup but to call ourselves as 'one of the best sides in ODI', i will rather take considerable amount of time. If our boys can perform in similar fashion against Aus, SA, Eng in abroad, only then i will call ourselves as 'one of the Best sides'
Old March 21, 2012, 04:08 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:

Knowing our team, i wont go that far. I had a same feeling like yours after the NZ whitewashed. But did not take too long to come back to reality. No doubt Bangladesh has outperformed other teams in every departments in Asia Cup but to call ourselves as 'one of the best sides in ODI', i will rather take considerable amount of time. If our boys can perform in similar fashion against Aus, SA, Eng in abroad, only then i will call ourselves as 'one of the Best sides'
It will be interesting to see how this team performs in the next few months.

This team reminds of of Arjuna Ranatunga's team in 1996 and that I why I believe in them.

Only time can tell who is wrong and who is right.
Old March 21, 2012, 04:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Just one more match !! Uff cant believe it !!! Stay focus Tigers . Inshaallah jitbo
Old March 21, 2012, 04:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

But it is different than NZ whitewash. NZ always struggles in the subcontinent pitches . But this time we have beaten India and Srilanka in such pitches and conditions where they are best in the world . Long way to go yet but this Asia cup performance is really something very special
Old March 21, 2012, 04:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abherath
It will be interesting to see how this team performs in the next few months.

This team reminds of of Arjuna Ranatunga's team in 1996 and that I why I believe in them.

Only time can tell who is wrong and who is right.
Same here mate.

Wonder how a player can change the whole team. For example, Arjuna for SL, Imran khan for Pakistan and Shakib for Bangladesh

Lets see how the boys perform and show their character tomorrow
Old March 21, 2012, 04:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Quote:
Same here mate.

Wonder how a player can change the whole team. For example, Arjuna for SL, Imran khan for Pakistan and Shakib for Bangladesh

92 te to Imran dekhalo....Insha Allah Shakib-o ekdin parbe....
Old March 21, 2012, 06:10 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Nice read....Abherath

Job not yet completed.
Old March 21, 2012, 06:29 AM
Club Cricketer

Plzz guys dont sound so silly. Sure we have won two matches against high quality opposition, but to say we are one of the best ODI sides in the world is ridiculus. We have to win for a longer period of time to be considered that. We cant go on winning this series and then going on to lose to zimbabwe in tests and ODIs afterwards, like what happened after the NZ whitewash. I also have a feeling that if we bat first then we will fold for a low score like 220. We shall see
Old March 21, 2012, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

We desperately need to win this cup; or any sort of cup that involves multiple top 8 sides for that matter. I agree with abherath - winning the Asia Cup could transform this team into a completely different outfit. The players will believe in themselves, young kids will believe and play to become champions one day and the infrastructure, quality of cricket in the country, etc will pretty much follow the team's success.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old March 21, 2012, 10:44 AM
ODI Cricketer

thanks herath, hope your team beats the poms
Old March 21, 2012, 11:00 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

Breaking News: Start making all duas and prayers for bangladesh to win Asia Cup tommorrow, Inshallah.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:01 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

Inshallah, we can do this, and I know they can do it
Old March 21, 2012, 11:02 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ How the heck is that a breaking news?
Old March 21, 2012, 11:22 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Same here mate.

Pakistan was a good team in the late 70's and early 80's. But, after he became the captain, Imran brought in a complete change in the team's psyche. He also led by example. He used to be a bowling all-rounder, but his batting style was like Pollard's. But, by the time he played his last WC, he was a capable bat. In fact, if Dickie Bird does not mistakenly give Imran out to a caught-behind appeal, PAK might have won the 1987 WC. I don't think Shakib has reached Imran's stature yet. But, if he keeps working on improving himself, he may very well retire as one of the all-time greats! Hopefully, his haul will include a couple of WC trophy.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:29 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
We desperately need to win this cup; or any sort of cup that involves multiple top 8 sides for that matter. I agree with abherath - winning the Asia Cup could transform this team into a completely different outfit. The players will believe in themselves, young kids will believe and play to become champions one day and the infrastructure, quality of cricket in the country, etc will pretty much follow the team's success.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
We don't have to look far for an example. Look at what the 1983 WC win did for the Indians. Yes, WI thrashed them 5-0 in India following the WC, but India was never the team that scored 60 in a 60-over match during the first WC.

I hope that our boys will show up tomorrow and bring home the cup.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Or what the 1996 WC win did to Sri Lanka.

If you're an underdog with a lot of passion, all you have to do is win a major tournament - everything else will revolve and grow around that win and fall in place. As a cricketing nation, you will go from zero to hero faster than you thought.
Old March 22, 2012, 01:21 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasnahk
Plzz guys dont sound so silly. Sure we have won two matches against high quality opposition, but to say we are one of the best ODI sides in the world is ridiculus. We have to win for a longer period of time to be considered that. We cant go on winning this series and then going on to lose to zimbabwe in tests and ODIs afterwards, like what happened after the NZ whitewash. I also have a feeling that if we bat first then we will fold for a low score like 220. We shall see
I can see where your comments are coming from. You cannot look at just one or two wins and say that the Tigers have come of age.

However, the Tigers have been showing that they have very capable and solid players for a fairly long time now and we have been seeing glimpses of what these players could deliver as a team, on and off. There has been an unmistakable increase in the frequency of these "glimpses",such that we can no longer consider them flashes in the pan. The Asia Cup has shown that these capabilities are coming to a head and that - taken along with the recent results of the team - justifies, in my mind, the view that the Tigers are now a good team to be taken very seriously.

How they handle the final today would show if this view is right or not.

Your points are well taken but the Tigers have to believe in themselves and the people need to trust them.