Thread: Asia Cup 2023
View Single Post
Old September 16, 2023, 07:22 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Having never seen Shubman Gil bat, I always wondered why he is trending so much on Twitter. Today it explains. What an amazing future ahead of him! A calm and mature head and a protégé of Kohli. Contrast this with us... we never had a batsman of his caliber in the pipeline who is so groomed to be mature and play composed innings.

I know some pointed out from Pakistan had Babar done the same it would be called "Selfish" innings. I don't think his was any selfish innings. Partnership wins matches and you prize your wicket. Something our players never got to learn the hard way of putting a price on your wicket!

Unfortunately we never developed any class batsmen like them from young age who plays solid, chanceless sparking innings. Not too many aerial ones and brute force, but solid textbook shots relying on timing. Gill reminded me kind of like Gambhir.

As far as our team, I am thoroughly impressed with the young blood, young gun 2-1-3 Tamzid. He seems like a spirited bolwer and hope overcoaching doesn't ruin his raw style. He has that "Shakib bhai ball-ta amake den shudhu ekbar, wicket uraia dimu" mentality.
I agree, Gill played really well. India bat deep and the others could score freely while he remained solid at the other end.

We have these good fast bowlers emerging, but our batting prospects (barring Hridoy and Shanto to an extent) are bleak. In our history, I think only Mominul and Anamul have had an appetite for scoring centuries but the former is only a one format player these days (and had a long run of poor form) and the latter has not been able to overcome his technical flaws.